Door Hanger Response very good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daleman, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

Hey Guys a few quick questions. I passed out about 400 of the 500 door hangers I had yesterday. I already have recieved 2 calls for bids, both on medium sized residential landscaping projects. I was really wanting to get lawn maintenace jobs, but right know, I'l take what I can get. Do I have to have any certain permits, licenses, etc. to do landscaping?? I already have my DBA certificate. Also what is the most common insurance line? I don't want to pay more than 100$ a month for insurance. Thank you for any info you can provide.

2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

it is all relitive, your costs are costs and they all depend on alot of different determinants, as far as insurance, it is a must and prices vary substanually, just check into it and alot of it depends on the size of your biz, personally i run 3 crews with between 175-200 clients, so depending on your size insurance will vary, now as far as permitrs like insurance it also varies with the area, so just don't get in over your head, a lawsuit is not fun and not cheap in the long run you will end up spending more if with out
    AK Lawn

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Glad it's working out for you :)

4. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Has anyone just put out a flyer with a "free quote" on the flyer? Seems like this would get your price out there and not have to play the bidding game?

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

5. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I'm just starting up in a suburb of DFW and I too have been advertising with a similar method.

I've put out 1725 advertisements and received 5 calls, but 589 of the advertisements just went out today. I've figured out that people will wait up to 12 days before they call. None of the five calls actually happened on the day I put the advertisement on their home.

I'm figuring about 1/4 to 1/2 % response rate on this type of advertising.

6. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

youll do much better than that % in the spring, but I would venture your not far off other times of the year.

on your 12 day theory.....
    youll get calls into the year off that advertisement, somtimes into the next season, you just never know circumstances

7. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

I've passed out 1000 and had 30 calls usually in the first 2 days.
    I've passed out 1000 and had no calls ever.
    I've passed them out and had calls from them 1 or even 2 years later.
    I had one lady who clipped out my newspaper add and called 2 years later from it.
    I had one lady who called from a newspaper add and lived 45 min away and her yard was a postage stamp but I put her on schedule. She asked me if I could mow her mothers yard one for a one time cut. I ended up getting 12 new clients on her mothers street over a 2 month period of time.

8. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

++++She asked me if I could mow her mothers yard one for a one time cut. I ended up getting 12 new clients on her mothers street over a 2 month period of time.++++

I get the feeling that's the way this business really works. One guy see you out working down the street on his neighbors yard, and he walks over and says "How much do you charge?"

That's how I've picked up half my clients.

Anyone else see this as the most important way of gaining clients...doing a yard in a neighborhood and neighbors asking you "How much?"

Thanks,
    DFW, TX

9. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

This always works well, but I still always use flyers to try to boost business in areas I already work in.

10. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I tried fliers this year for the 1st time and it is working well