Door hanger response

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by enviouslawns, Feb 25, 2008.

1. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

I ordered my door hangers today and plan on putting them out in about 2-3 weeks. they are front and back, 100lb card stock full color and uv coating so there very professional. I also put a spot on there for a price for there weekly cutting.i was wondering what everyones response rate was who had did this before. Would appreciate any input.

2. Siesta Key Lawn Service

Siesta Key Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have used door hangers for years with very good success. My response rate is usually about 3 to 4 percent.

3. lawnpro2210

lawnpro2210 LawnSite Member

I put out 300 and didnt get a single customer :cry:for leaf clean up

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

As of friday and today I have put out 300 total out of 1000 and not one call yet. I know it is early to tell but man, this is a bit disappointing.

About 3 months ago I sent out 300 post cards and got one phone call with no job from it.

I still have 700 door hangers to go and I am hoping that I can get some sort of response out of them. I am not putting them in some of the lower income neighborhoods nor am I putting them in the areas that have been hit hard with foreclosures. But jeez, there are tons and tons of places that are not serviced and not one call.....

5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

its is still early,mabe they are waiting to call

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I used a yellow stock, double sided, with green type. They look OK, no fancy four color stuff. I happen to think WHAT you say and how easy the hanger is to scan is what makes it effective or not. Three seconds to convey who you are, and what you do. Then, some hooks.... I use free pH testing and a 50 dollar off incentive on spring cleanups.

I have about 700 out so far. 9 responses, 7 customers. Another 1400 to get distributed. I also offer full apps, ferts and pesticides, legally.

This is right in the mid range of factual, published studies and ad industry averages, between .5 and 2%. Those are facts, and I am skeptical to say the least when people talk about 5% response rates. Anyone who can get those numbers would be rich, just as a media company. If you can get 5%, you are in the wrong business. You are a marketing genius. You should be a millionaire. I'm not being a wise arse, either.... that's the truth.

Usually, a hanger will generate a response in 2 to 3 business days. Some might take longer than that, but that isn't the rule of thumb. I don't like distributing on Fridays. People get home, and think it's too late to call. They start their weekend and then, by Monday, maybe they forget or misplace the hanger. Get em out early in the week. That should help the response rate.

I also like to distribute on warm days. It makes people think about the winter coming to an end. Might not make much of a difference, but even one more call makes it a worthwhile strategy. Don't put em out when the home owners have to shovel snow. Just my amatuer phsych opinion. That is, unless you do snow removal too!

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I just got my first call but it wasn't closed. They wanted me to only edge the flower beds.

He wanted to take care of his property and edge all of the hard surfaces himself but needed help with the flower beds. I told him I would help him reset the edge if it was over grown and show him how to use his line trimmer to keep the edge but for me to go in there and edge his flower beds, he may as well pay me to do the entire yard.

Like Whitey I did not go and spend the farm on full color flyers but I also did not put coupons on my hangers. Coupons give me the heebs, I don't like the thought of what kind of customer I am going to be picking up here in bargain city if I start undercutting myself with a coupon right off the bat so I didn't put any coupon and I cannot offer apps since I am not licensed to do that kind of work.

I am going back out today to put a couple hundred more out. My 2 year old in pounding the pavement with me everyday when I go out and do them. He holds up ok for a while but it is a lot of walking for his little legs......:dancing:
    He takes a good nap when we are done with door hangers....:usflag:

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Be a little smart about it.

500 of those flyers put the price on them.....and track them.
    See if there is a difference.
    Don't worry about the "you might lose some revenue" bs

If you arent at 100% capacity you are losing waaaaay more revenue anyway.

If you get 1% response you are doing extremely well.

9. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

i think that poor reponse to our door hangers is a certain sign of our struggling economy.

my company does weed control/fertilization and this is the time of year to be firing up. Last year I got nearly 2% response to my door hangers (I hung about 3500). This year, I have 6000 out already, and I have added only 12 customers. I am trying to be patient, because the weather is also really bad.

So far 12 customers signed and 2 calls from children asking if I was hiring people to put the door hangers out. not a good economy.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

They will start calling as soon as it warms up a little. Believe it or not I just received a call from one we put out last year. I will be sending out postcards starting tomorrow. I know if I was the customer, I probably would not call until I saw the grass green up or weeds starting to grow. That has not happened here yet.