Door Hangers.....Angry Home Owners

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by elamey, Mar 21, 2005.

1. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Hi Group,

Has anyone ever had any problems with home owners getting angry about door hangers? It seems like a lot of people are still home when I hang them during the day (don't they work??) and i've had a few come "chew me out" about putting a door hanger on thier house. One guy told me I was trespassing....he didn't have a "no trespassing" or "no solicitation" sign up. But was angry non the less. Any comments??

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it!
    I personally have never had anyone get angry with me for placing door hangers on their door. Some people are real winners... Just explain to them that this is your most effective means of advertising your business and that if they find it offensive that you will be more than willing to come pick-up your door hanger and offer them a free cut. You never know you might get some good business that way. :waving:

Jason

3. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

We haven't had a problem. If the owners are in there driveway, I ask for a moment of their time and explain that we are expanding in the area. Most have said thank you but no. I offer the door hanger to them regardless just in case it doesn't work out. You never know. One thing I will not do is get into a pi55ing contest with them. Customer is always right! (Well, usually)
    Mark

4. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Thank you for the encouraging comments!

5. lawnwerx1234

lawnwerx1234 LawnSite Member

Some cities have no soliciting laws. Check and make sure. If there are no soliciting laws for residential neighborhoods then dont worry about it.

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of the many reasons I hate door hangers. Just like cold calling. I hate it when people do it to me, so I don't like doing it to them. I just hate going around and putting stuff on people doors....it just seems tackless IMO. Just be understanding, there are people like me out in the world, that don't care for people missing with their doors. Thats all you can do, there will be more.

All that being said, its an effective means of advertising, that is low in cost, and it can help you build a tight route. I can see why your doing it. I do mostly landscaping, so I use different means of advertising.

Thanks,
    Derek

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Free cut? Customer is always right? Are you guys crazy? First, no free cut, that's ridiculous. Second, they aren't a customer until they employ you. You're not getting any business from someone with an attitude like that. Not any business you want, that is. I say be the duck. Let it roll right off your back. Pity people like that, he probably treats his family with the same callousness.

8. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

Last year while I pass out fliers a home owner came out and said you can't solicit in this neighborhood. From that sub-division I was able to have 3 people ask for work.

If sign says no tresspassing, you may want to skip that house.

Since then I've left hundreds of fliers at residential homes. most people will come outside and spend a little time talking landscape, when I ring or knock.

Most of my clients come from this method.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be more worried about some big ass dog come running around the corner of the house than the owner.

10. I hate it when I see those big dogs. Are stained pants deductible?