Door hangers, bigger=better?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gogetter, Oct 28, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'm going to be ordering door hangers over the winter for next spring. Most printers offer two different sizes. Obviously the larger ones are more expensive.

Is it worth it to spend the extra for the larger ones? When I think of hangers I've found on my door, it was usually what was ON the hanger that either got my attention or made me toss it. Not the size of it.

I think I'd rather spend the extra money on the design and layout of the hanger.

Thoughts?

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to agree. It wont be how large the hanger is, but the content of the info on it. If you offer a 10% discount on a yearly contract if they contact you from recieving this flyer, that is what will draw them in. I think this is one of those situations where size doesn't matter, but content and marketability do.

3. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We believe the main thing is timing. It does not matter the size or content if they do not have lawn service on their mind the moment they see it. So, we have found that it is a numbers game, & the important issue to putting out more numbers.

MJ

4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

what does volume have to do with timing? Timing means the correct part of the season doesn't it?

5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

So is the best time late Feb. or early March? TIA

6. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Timing does not mean the correct time of year!

Our best time is when the grass first needs mowing. For us, this can mean, March 1 (We start March 7th) for the particular well financed customers, & April 1st for the people wanting to save money.

After April 1st, there are plenty of people that are already mad at there provider, just got sick or old & decided to hire Lawn service, just moved in, started traveling, and a host of other reasons, & guess what...no hangers on their door because everyone thinks spring. So, we put them out until about Sept.1st with great results, then rely on our phone books after that.
    MJ

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Gotcha! Thanks! It will be the first time i have thought about using door hangers or signs. Most of my clients are in Lexington and I live 17 miles away so I am going to concentrate on shifting my customer base closer to home.

8. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lawn service door hanger on my mail box out by my gate. It was small and looked cheap, thin paper ugly greenish gray color. I like the big ones my self.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I don't think size matters, but you want to make it "showy" enough to catch their attention. Some good advice given here about timing and putting out a large number of hangers to get the results.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I spent the extra money on full color and gloss. After asking people "where did you get my number?"....about 70% of people said it was from my "professional" or "good-looking" door hanger...or postcard. Where size may not matter, the looks of it does...IMO!!