1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Door hangers illegal?!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by garlar55, Mar 13, 2008.

1. garlar55

garlar55 LawnSite Member

I have had 6000 door hangers printed (they look great). Someone told me that it is illegal, so I called several town's code enforcement officer and sure enough, it is illegal to go door to door and put the hangers on. We are also not allowed to put them on cars windshields in parking lots. One town said it was a temporary sign. Another said I could apply for a peddlers license ($50), fill out a bunch of paperwork and then it had to go before the town board to be voted on as to whether or not they would allow it. This country is getting to be something else. Gov't interference in everything!! Anyone else have trouble like this or is it just us folks in New York, land of taxes and corrupt governors?? I guess I'm now stuck with 6000 door hangers to use as note pads at a cost of $235. What a country!!!
  2. Edmond_Dantes

Edmond_Dantes LawnSite Member

I would use them as fliers and maybe even business cards. If they get your message across, give some to existing customers for referrals. I definately wouldn't trash 'em.

I would also think that if I lived in NY, 4 grand would be enough money to get a great looking prostitute, not an average one. :cool2:
  3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i would just put them out.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed! You might want to find out what the fine is if you get caught though.
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

put em out.....
    maybe you'll just get a 'first timer' warning...
  6. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

better to ask forgiveness than permission.

just put the things out. if someone calls you on it, pretend you didn't know, and pay your $50 fine.
  7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

PUT THEM OUT!!!!! at worst you will get a phone call from someone who wants to act tuff, trust me ive been there a few times. im always like " oh i didnt know" end of story.
  8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Put em out! Sometime its better to say your SORRY then to ask for PERMISSION..
  9. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

like everyone else said, i know its illegal to put them on mailboxes so i have no other choice but to go door to door. and if they do fine you its only $50 nothing to crazy
  10. jimh90248

jimh90248 LawnSite Member

I found your posting on the web. I have been in the door-to-door business for almost 20 years. I have delivered millions of doorhangers for the Lawn Care industry. What you are seeing is a situation we deal with constantly. The city tries to bully the business owner by making unconsititutional demands on their right to free speech. I am part of a national association and we fight these city attorneys and have an excellent track record. I would be happy to discuss with you further if you would like.