Door Hangers.... Price or No Price ??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Clapper&Company, Dec 27, 2007.

Do you put prices on door hangers?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Some times, I do both

4. Doorhanges, are a waste !!!

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I have seen alot of talk on here. Is it better to put a price on them or no price??

Lets do a poll, please tell us what u do also.
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I voted no, because mine don't have the price.

I have seen an article in "Lawn and Landscape" magazine where a company did put the price on the hanger. Their postition was, when someone called they already knew the price so it cut down on giving an estimate, then finding out they think your to high. The only down side I see is your competition will know what you are charging.JMHO

Good luck, Tony
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

When I used to do resi snow plowing we always put the price on em. Plain and simple , when someone called they wanted my service , no running back to estimate no " gee I didnt think it was gonna be that much" they called to say " sign me up"
  4. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We don't do doorhangers, but if we did we wouldn't put a price unless it was a starting base price (?maybe?).

We've had too many problems with people getting a quote and then 4 months later asking if we'll still give them the price only to find out that they let the lawn grow for the entire spring and most of the summer!

Now, I guess it would work if you hand wrote a personalized quote on each door hanger. David has left bids on doors like that before, and got good responses.
  5. MosquitoGuard Plus

MosquitoGuard Plus LawnSite Member
    from GA

I just started in the lawn maintenance side and I've always given a price on my door to door selling. It does cut down on those trips back to the house but it also keep you from getting into the price war with a competitor. You are trying to maintain a profit margin and not trying to meet a competitors price. If you give a price always explain the reason behind it that way they have no excuses why and how you came up with the price. Ive gotten great response and I don't like toying or even negotiating with a customer about ticky tack details of my competitors price because most of the time the customers are leaving out something important about his (competitors) services as compared to yours like they may not edge but they will match your price or they may not give the customer certain benefits that you are giving. It happens alot. I don't like to say it but customers can't be trusted when they are trying to get a lower price. You will find yourself doing more than you can afford with their property. You also find your door hanger on the other side of the neighborhood because that customer did pass it along with a price that is sometimes higher than what you would've charged.
  6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

So there are alot of mix feeling about this
  7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Good thread - I am going to have 500 or so printed up soon so good to get some takes on this. One downfall I can see about having pricing on the door hanger is the additional time it will take to estimate pricing for each homeowner THEN hang the door hanger. Not everyone is going to have a cookie cutter $30 a cut yard - in fact the high end res that we are all after will probably all have their own unique pricing. As a new business, I want to reach a lot of people quickly so would probably not tend to do the pricing thing.
  8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i don't because you can't see the backyard from the street and every lawn is different and would not be good to change the price whence you do see the back
  9. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

We have often used door hangers with a per-cut price written on the hanger. We will often use this method when placing door hangers in a neighborhood where the pricing is roughly equal for each lot. I have hired solicitors to place hangers in these kind of neighborhoods, and I just tell them the price to put on the hanger. Saves me from having to assess each property individually and doesn't require me to be there when the hangers go out. It certainly saves time/effort on call backs to do estimates and cuts down on phone calls that are nonproductive. It also encourages people to call us who may have thought that they could not afford us.
  10. JohnnyCuts

JohnnyCuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I'm brand new to lawns so take it FWIW. I had great success with prices on door hangers for snow removal this winter. As others said, when they called it was to sign-up, I later met with some but I bet I still havent met half my customers (35). When some of my customers asked if I do lawns it brought me here.

My plan for the spring is to hang flyers with a price schedule on the back. I'm targeting smaller lawns in newer neighborhoods. The price schedule will have prices for under 10k, 10-15k, 15-20k, sq ft lots without improvements determined from the county assessors site. It will have a disclaimer stating this is only an estimate etc. Thats what I've come up with so far.