Door Hangers to Contract?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by VanceTrendov, Mar 14, 2005.

1. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

I am getting ready for the season to start and I have thought out things a lot better then last year. I am passing out 10,000 door hangers (4/4 full color, gloss). I have done a lot of searching and found different rates for how much business people really get from there marketing. I am hoping for about .0075% but I will be able to handle more. Here are my questions:

1. What is the ratio of door hangers or fliers to contracts? I know it depends on neighborhood, income, competition but I want to know what you have found to be your ratios.

2. What has been your best money spend on marketing. I hear that door hangers and fliers are the best because they target a neighborhood, but I am thinking about a local newspaper add. The only problem is that it is $1,800 for 2 runs. And my door hangers are only costing me $1,500 to have them made and passed out.

2. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a add in a local classified paper that gets mailed weekly... about 2.2k for the year... best thing i've ever done... I've gotten 10 estimates in the past 3 days from the add...This is the first spring i've had the add in the paper

3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I find that the door hangers are our best bang for the buck.

Also we advertise in a "Monthly Shopper" it's $275 for a 1/2 page full color ad that goes out to 65,000 in my target area. That works pretty well too.

Mike

4. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

So many views but not that many replies.

Vance Trendov

5. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Stick with the door hangers...
    In my opinion you can target potential clients much more effectively with door to door advertising than you can with a $1800.00 ad in the paper.

I too am putting out a bunch of full color door hangers this year and I expect (hope) to pick-up somewhere between 20- 30 clients.

Last night I recruited four younger guys from my fire dept. to aid in hanging the door hangers. Each guy will get a list of streets and a certain number of door hangers to distribute. I am going to hit the houses twice. One before April 1st and then again around April 20th. Late maybe but that seems to be when I get the most calls and I believe that most of the price shoppers have gotten a LCO at that point.
    Each one of my "couriers" is going to be drilled on what to say and what not to say if the potential client asks questions!
    If someone is outside and approaches one of my "couriers" they are going to say something along the lines of:

Courier- Hello my name is Joe
    Homeowner- hey Joe what do you have?
    Courier- This is an advertisement for a landscaping company that is owned and operated by a local volunteer firefighter that has 15 years experience in the lawn care/ landscape industry.
    Homeowner- thank you Joe, can you give me an estimate?
    Courier- I am not authorized to give prices, but The owner of the company will be more than happy to come evaluate your property and give you an estimate of what it will cost to have your property professionally maintained.
    His name is Jason and you will find the number to reach him on the bottom of the card. If it would be more convenient for you I can set up an appointment for you to meet with him!
    Homeowner- That would be great.
    Courier- Gets the info and sets up a tentative appointment.
    Courier- Thank you for your time Mr. Homeowner and please enjoy the rest of your day.
    I follow up within 24 hours with a phone call to confirm.

Hopefully this works.
    BTW I think the ratios are dependant on a number of factors including the ones that you listed. One that you did not list is the ability to sell! it helps a lot if you can setup appointments and actually meet with people. You have to be professional and represent your company well.
    sorry about the long post. It probably was not much help

Jason