Door Hangers = Ugly Phone Calls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Master of the Lawn, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

Well i got my first call today, and it was a NASTY ONE. This WOMAN calls and wants to know why i did not leave a estimate with the flyer? I told her that i have CO that uses Autistic people to pass out flyers and that they do a very good job. She wanted me to give her an estimate over the phone ( can you imagine that) I told her that i would be more than happy to give her a estimate in person and go over what she wants. She would have nothing to do with it, she said that i was also Autistic and dumb and that she couldnt stand dumb people. She called me every name you can think of. Well i took it for a while then told her that maybe she should look in the mirrow once in while and to get off her bum and cut it herself. ( no joke) Do we LCO's get any respect? Or we just second class citizens. ;)
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Get used to it. Along with the good calls, you will get the nutty calls.
    Some guy woke me up this morning pretending to want an estimate. Then he proceeds to ask all kinds of questions about our business from "do you have lots of work, how many guys do you have workig for you, do you make a lot of money, how much do you charge by the hour.." Then he hangs up on me. An hour and half later, he calls back again to ask me more questions.

There are definitely strange people out there. And I'm convinced that this profession isn't the only one to get the nutty calls.

Just hang in there, the good calls will come too.
  3. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

She was a price shopper who got mad when you would not play her game. You're better off without customers like her.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

:D Hey Jodi, did he ask you the proverbial. "What are you wearing"? :rolleyes:
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had one person call me up today and ask me whether I owned the business and I said yes, and then she hung up on me.
    I was about to call her back up and ask her whether this was her phone number and then hang up on her.
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

See, I avoid all this mess by only having the voice mail. Dumb callers just usually hang up.

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I funnel all calls through my voice mail on my cell. It is a rare occurrence I actually pick up the phone - however, for some strange reason I always pick up when my wife calls:!
    I have gotten plenty of inquisitive callers, people who are rude, price shoppers and plenty of good customers.
    Whenever I get a call, I attempt to be civil and interested, after all, we are in a service industry. Yet the gloves come off quite quickly whenever the caller becomes rude, argumentative or is patently wasting my time.
    One of the biggest lessons I have learned is two fold - first develop a thick skin, second - I will take no abuse or rude behavior. Provided I have made an error, I will apologize and correct it - but I will not stand for poor treatment.
    In your case, I would of simply described as you did how the flyers were handed out. When she became abusive, I would not of responded with an insult, I would of gotten her name (if I could), told the service that distributed the flyer of her complaint, would not of given her an estimate over the phone, hung up withut saying another word, then added her to a list of permanently barred customers. Let the service that uses the autistic people thump this twit.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that when someone calls my phone, they are entering my house. So when you enter my house you are on your best behavoir. When you become rude on the phone to me, its an insult to me and my family inside the house
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ditto! And I give what I get in two fold!!
  10. voice mail usually gets mine ..screens out most nuts...when the phone is answered my wife answers it .She is originally from Sicily she just cusses the nuts out in Italian when they talk nutty lol ....and the morons don't know the names they are being called:D