door hangers vs cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wahlturfcare, Jan 4, 2008.

?

which is more effective for advertising?

1. door hangers

37.9%
  2. post cards/direct mail

51.7%
  3. flyers

10.3%
  1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I was wondering what everyone thought was more effective, postcards or door hangers for advertising?
    i'm stuck on which one to go for this year.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Man, that's a tough one. I have years of experience doing both flyers and door hangers. I don't consider leaving a car on someone's door very good advertising. Furthermore, it wastes the opportunity to get some photos or description of your work like you can get on a flyer or door hanger.

Of the two, I've had great success with both. I built my entire maintenance business (been at about 170 year-round customers for about 5 years now...) mostly on flyers. They were cheap black and white flyers with silly graphics, no photos, and some good wording. But they worked like a charm. Perhaps because they weren't really high end they gave people the impression that we were professional, but not expensive. Regardless, those worked very well. As I said, I built my company on those flyers.

Nowadays my priorities have changed a little. As we've evolved into a full service landscaping, design/build, irrigation firm, I find we have to use a much nicer high end door hanger to attract customers. And I am not so much interested in attracting more maintenance customers these days as I am trying to land design/build or irrigation jobs. So nowadays we use a very nice high-end professionally designed glossy door hanger with really nice photos of our work.

So I guess it depends on your market and what you're trying to attract. But either way, I'd say flyers or door hangers are both very effective.

One other reasons I prefer door hangers these days is they are just easier to place.

3. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Id like to hear more on this. I am also considering both.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have done all 3 and postcards seem to get the most customers. I have had people call me that have been hanging on to the postcard for months.

5. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Same here! People called me months later with a card they hung on to. I tried door hangers for snow removal and did not get one call. Plus it takes forever and a day to hand out all the hangers.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

That's so weird. I tried post-cards several years back. I had some color card stock with black and white print and graphics. They weren't full color glossy and didn't look as nice as what we use these days. But they were nice. I had my whole family and another family here in my living room putting stamps on all 5000 of them one week. It took forever and cost a fortune in both printing and stamps. I had figured using post-cards would save me a lot of postage vs. regular letters.

Out of 5000 that we sent out, I think we maybe got 6 calls and landed 2 or 3 very small jobs. I was so pissed I have never tried post cards again. But I am glad to hear someone got some good results with them.

One of my competitors does this. He blankets the entire valley (5 cities) with his post cards about twice per year. He does them bulk and gets some sort of bulk printing, sorting, and postage rate on them all. And that's all the advertising they ever do. So I guess it works for them.