1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Door Hangers what does everyone offer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pclawncare, Jan 19, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know door hangers have been beat to death as far as post go, but i am looking for a way to market my self a little more this year. What does everyone offer on their door hangers to attract attention and get a potential customer to call (20% off, something free)? I would like to offer something that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg like a free mowing every month. I though about offering like 20% off scalping, but thats upfront and people would likely quit after that. Just looking for ideas from other people.
  2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

No one has anything to say about this? Would just saying free estimates work just to get the word FREE in there ? anyone have anything to say about this?
  3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

How about weekly mowing.
    Maybe free mower damage repair. Someone out there has to be pissed of and looking for a new landraper cuz of turn marks
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Here are some ideas:
    1/2 off 1st lawn cut
    first cut free when you apply for the full season.
    10% off Spring Cleanup
    10 % off a Fall Leaf Cleanup

I've used some of these a few times and have seen them used by others too.
    Customers definitly go for the first two that i mentioned.
  5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Free Grub Control if season is pre-paid

2 Free Lawn Mowing coupons to be used as Customer conveinence
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Good service.
  7. wysiwyg420

wysiwyg420 LawnSite Member

I'd forget door hangers. They cheapen your image and gets you customers who are shopping on price. These people already get blitzed with dozens of door hangers, mailbox flyers, trash. You want a bunch of cheapskate customers who'll beat you up over $2 ? use door hangers.
    Waste of effort. "Free anything" gets you a bunch of folks too cheap to pay, and a lot of wasted hours of you doing free favors.
    Give your existing customers and incentive, like a free mowing for everyone they refer who signs on, maybe 2 if it's in their neighborhoood and on the route. Or say 5% off their annual service for each referral contracted - with 20 referrals, they get free service for a year! And what's better - a solid word of mouth referral from existing happy customer or some tightwad calling you from a door hanger who wants something free?
  8. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I do not necessarily agree with this train of thought. When I am in the market to purchase a service and I have multiple options (flyers, doorhangers, etc) I look to see where I am going to get the most value for my money. I look for how professional the flyer is and see if what they are offering falls into the category of what I need. Then i look at price (and I love discounts). If I was looking at two flyers that meet my needs and both were professional looking, but one gave me a discount I would more than likely choose the discounted service for a quote. If they came and quoted me and I did not get a good feeling or price, I would then go to the second flyer. BTW I pay all my bills on time and tend not to be a PITA.

So to answer the original question to get my business you would want to add some type of value (ie: 1/2 off first mow, % off for annual contract, etc).

I do agree that recruiting new accounts through existing customers is a great way to grow also.

9. rockymtnmf

rockymtnmf LawnSite Member

I have lived in the same house for the past 26 years. I have been in the lawn care business for most of them. My house is in a prime "cookie cutter" neighborhood for lawn care, mowing, landscaping, etc. I can honestly say I have never had a door hanger for any of these services put on my door. A few on the mailbox over the years but thats it. I see thread after thread... what to put on door hangers, what size door hangers, how many door hangers. bla bla bla. Does anyone really use them? Its not worth the time or money.

Post card stamps are 24 cents each. Now assume your time is worth at least minimum wage at $7.25 an hour and you walk for 8 hours. You better hand out 242 door hangers or you lost money. If your time is worth more like $12 an hour(thats what most of my guys get paid). Then you or your guys better had out 400, yep 400!! or you lost money.

Now i know... cost of the cards... come on you can get 5000 for less than $140 (3 cents each).

Does anyone else agree door hangers are not the way. It one thing if you already are doing the lawn next door, and want to walk over to the neighbors house but to do hangers all day?? Not me.
  10. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

you have to realize that not everyone is in the same situation. If you are just starting out, you can't afford to send postcards. Me, for example. I am trying to build my business while working full time at another job. Therefore, my budget does not allow for mailing 5000 postcards.

I can get 5000 door hangers for 400 bucks, build some customers, use the money to buy post cards for later in the season. But, to tell this guy that door hangers is a waste of time is simply not true. It is just a whole lot of extra work.