1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Door Hangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sharp Services, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

As most of you know, I am new to this group and have been cutting yards for a few years. I have only had 7 yards and have had them for a while. My avarage yard is $60 and takes me about 2 hours. I am tring to speed things up a bit. I bought a 12 foot trailer yesterday and I am buying a small rider next week.

I work full time as a cop, have 6 kids and need to grow my lawn care company. My goal is to have 15 yards by year end, all at least $60 each. I read about someone using door hangers to get business and tought I would ask for some suggestions on this and if anyone could send me a sample of what they use.

My address is as follows:

Alec Sharp
    1852 St. Matthew Church Rd.
    Eastover, SC 29044

Anyone else have ideas for growing my business??

2. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

Do a search, I'm sure you'll come up with lots.

I have a few flyers that I designed myself, but haven't put them out yet. I'm just going out for business now. I've been to busy to add clients earlier this year.

Gopher (site sponsor) gives examples.

Also are you planning on having them printed on high quality glossy stock with color photos?

Hope that helps
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Tell your customers you are looking for additional work. If they can recommend you to their neighbors, makes routing a lot easier.
    Do you have a sign on your vehicle with phone number? A simple company sign can bring in lots of work.
  4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a word of advice -- don't put one in a mail box because you will be getting a call from the Postmaster in your town. Don't be surprised if some of them do turn up in mail boxes . Kids and the competition like to have fun.

5. Sharp Services

I did not even think of getting a sign for the side of my truck.

6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Wow, this is one of the first things nearly everyone does, even if it's just magnetics for the door. Maybe consider a larger sign for your trailer gate as well. People see you working, they get yoor number. People see you drinving around, they get your number. People you cut off in traffic and run off the road, they get your...well you get the idea..lol..a clean truck and equipment with a professional sign, can go a long way toward generating business with very very little cash outlay.
  7. Sharp Services

Like I said ... can't believe I did not think of the sign thing. Went out and ordered a sign during lunch. They wanted $150 to put the graphics (letters) on the truck and $78 for the magnetic signs for both doors.

The magnetic signs will be ready next Thursday.

Wow ... this group has already helped me.

Thanks, :cool2:
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi Sharp Services,

Feel free to review our collection of free flyers you can download. Maybe some of them will inspire you.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Invoice Background Template Graphics.</center>
  9. Sharp Services

I printed up 400 fliers this past week and hung placed them around all my current jobs. No calls as of yet?
  10. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

tail end of season, you are not likely going to get impulse buys right now, but be patient, follow up one more time this fall and again in the same areas in the spring. Consider this time as building awareness to your services. Make sure that you are pitching traditional fall services in your fall ads, like leaf cleanup, bed cleanouts etc. This will lead to the other work.