1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Door Hangers...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by hoylebros, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Greendog

Greendog LawnSite Member

There should'nt be a problem puting door hangers on the flag on the mailbox. The law prohibits anyone from inserting anything inside the mailbox. I usually fold my flyers and pinch them on the flag, but I've alway thought that doorhangers would be best so that's what i'm planning on doing this season.

Good Luck guys!​
  2. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

This has been discussed MANY times on this site. You can't LEGALLY put anything on any part of the mailbox. YOUR mailman might look the other way... however this is the law...

The USPS Domestic Mail Manual states that “no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items of matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle.” In other words, the mailbox may not be used for anything other than for pieces of mail with postage attached. The USPS Domestic Mail Manual goes on to states that it is a federal offense and there is a significant penalty for violating this law.

Just do a yahoo or google seach for "federal mailbox laws"
  3. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info.........as it is the law, but its kind of one that they (at least here) don't enforce to the "T". They will get on you if you put it in, but they don't bother to bad for just hanging on it. It really depends on the mood of the carrier and if it is just to cluttered they might. But you will get a warning letter first. I know my nephew got one once for putting his receipt in a customers box. The letter just stated about the law and also said that his company's name has now been recorded with post office for violation and if it happens again fines would be assessed.

So at your own rick I guess.
  4. jada86

jada86 LawnSite Member

I carry a nice backpack to trade shows and when distributing door hangers. You can carry a lot and it's easier on the back!!! :clapping:

5. Greendog

Greendog LawnSite Member

I never had an issue either. I guess it depends like you say. What about puting flyers on car windshields in between the wiper blades on comercial parking lots like Walmart or shopping centers. would it be leagal?
  6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

The best thing to do is call your local municipality regarding these issues. They may have ordinances restricting such advertising without a permit.
  7. southerngreenscape

southerngreenscape LawnSite Member

Where is a good website to get door hangers at a good price.
  8. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

10. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Don't do that. People hate when solicitors touch their cars. Kinda bush league, IMO.