Door Hangers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ParksLandscaping, Jan 20, 2001.

1. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping LawnSite Member

I was thinking about passing out some door hangers this spring. I am most likely going to buy them from nebs, through, so that I can help them out as much as possible. Everyone has helped me out behind what I could every pay back...THANKS!!! But I was wondering if anyone who has does this has any example on what exactly to put on these door hangers. If anyone has an examples they would like to share with me, or just what exactly you have put on them in the past. Thanks for all the help in advance.

David Parks
    Parks Landscaping & Snow Service
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

What do you want them for-to advertise your services, or let customers know you have been there already?
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We offer one free mowing each season to our customer's new and old alike. I have been ridiculed and had this approach considered "low balling tactics" by our local competitors.

I look at it differently. When I give up a free cut [residential only], I am saying THANK YOU to our clientel. I know that our company is one of about five [with over 175 residentials] that try to communicate openly with its customers on a regular basis. By giving a free cutting quite often when someone comes along who will do the yard for say $10 cheaper they remember this.

They also know that no matter how large we continue to grow that PERSONALIZED service is NEVER conmpromised. This is an enormous industry we are engaged in. And CUSTOMER SERVICE is what I do and what better service, than FREE service.

Hope this helps to get you thinking.
  4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have used doorhangers as a mass market tool to target a specific subdivision. It works well if you have a limited budget or just alot of time. I have found that what works better for me is using postcards for this mass approach. You can make up the post cards yourself just like doorhangers and send them out as you like.

What I do is I go out this time of year and just drive through an addition getting all the addresses. If you are able to have someone go with you they can write while you read out the addresses. Then I use a little inexpensive database program to keep them all. I then can print labels from streets, additions, or just certain actual addresses. If you wish to avoid this you can spend some money and buy the data from a mailing list company in list form or on disk. Look in your phonebook for a list company.

Now what I do is use doorhangers to target properties that are adjacent to ones that are currently customers. I carry them in the truck with my logo at the top, then it just simply states that "We mow your neighbors property at (write in address) and we would like to have you as a customer". I have a place then that says "We can mow, trim, and blow away the clippings for (write in amount)" "We are a full service lawn and landscape maintenance company and offer additional programs to suit your properties needs" "Please contact us to setup serve" Then I list additional serves. Phone number in big bold letters at the bottom.

I would say when I do this with doorhangers I usually get a least a 75%-80% call back. On the postcards or doorhangers in a mass approach, best I have ever seen is maybe 1-2%.

I have not used NEBs or even looked at their prices, but here are a few I have used for years when doing desktop publishing. and

[Edited by Skookum on 01-20-2001 at 04:24 PM]
  5. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping LawnSite Member

I am wanting to hand out these door hangers for new customers (residential). Mainly to promote our lawn maintence, lanscaping, and fertilization services.

David Parks

Thanks to both of you that have already replied!!!