Door knockers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by aaacrown, Jun 17, 2008.

1. aaacrown

aaacrown LawnSite Member

Has anyone had good luck on door knockers. What is the best advertisement that has been the most successful

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Door knocking is considered soliciting work that's a no no and you need a permit for that! You can put do hanger on doors that's considered advertisement! Good luck and check local laws.

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

phone book

4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

If you cant afford a picture w/ your number in the phone book then i wouldnt advertise in the phone book. I have got more work from word of mouth and my website then any other method. And my website was cheaper then an ad in the phone book. But every one has their own luck with things! Good luck.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Word of mouth is the best advertisement out there.

6. Honey Do Property Mgmt.

Honey Do Property Mgmt. LawnSite Member

4 to a page fliers from kinkos. 10 cents per sheet. 18 accounts this year and few scragglers here and there

7. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the most overstated and overused comment when these new guys ask this question. :hammerhead:

Word of mouth is only the best when you have a name for yourself and secondly, its only good because it is free.

It doesn't help you get started and it doesn't bring you the volume of customers that a new lawn company needs.

So, yes, its good, its free, but no, you arent going to get 30 customers from word of mouth this year.

Dont waste (and money) your time with the phone book.

Now then... The general consensus is that doorhangers / postcards are the best advertising. From a marketing standpoint you generally have a 1% conversion rate (you hand out 100, you get 1 customer) GENERALLY, not saying it is a fact. That statistic can fluctuate depending on the quality of your advertising. You go off and print some crap off on your printer that is out of yellow ink and dont expect much.

Order something online, get it professionally done and you'll get a good response. Its a lot of hard work and I dont do it, simply because Houston has a better market for online advertising. But the small town guys have the best option with hanging door hangers / postcards.

Also, it couldnt hurt to do some free advertising and go to http://beaumont.craigslist.org/ and post once a day to see what kind of response there. Make sure to list your minimum price to ward off any low paying customers.

Good luck

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

GREAT POINT....

however I would NEVER advertise on Craigs list......

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt either if I was way out in Bellville :)

10. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

why would you not take advantage of craigslist?