Door magnet advertising. Good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcoat, Nov 21, 2000.

1. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Guys, I've thought about the advertising thing and don't know if this would be a good idea or not, but why not do a large format magnet and just slap it on the residents' door!? I do know there's the cost consideration, but I also think from a customer standpoint you don't want to throw-away a perfectly good magnet, so why not keep it regardless your lawncare situation! Most residences end up throwing away the door-hanger/paper ad anyway. I know I do, BUT if someone put a magnet on my door I would keep it for convenience even if they're trying to sell me lingerie!!!
    From the magnet links posted a couple weeks ago I don't think it would be too far off budget for advertising costs. It's just a thought...

2. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

Wood doors? maybe i missed something here, but what would you do if you ran across wooden doors? good idea though, if you do use the magnets, i'd like to know how they work.

3. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Yeah, I thought about wood doors after posting the thread... I guess it would hit-and-miss. The majority of doors around here are steel. I wonder what could be done about advertising on wood doors? Surely there would be some steel somewhere!

4. toddman35

they probably would have steel somewhere, do most of them have storm doors? you could put them on that?

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to burst the bubble, but storm doors are primarily made of aluminum these days. Aluminum will not hold a magnet. Try slapping them on the side of their driver side car door...hehe...just kidding...

6. toddman35

didnt think of that. at least someone is here to correct me. lol, maybe you could just put them on the doorstep? i dont think its where you put them that will affect if they decide your company or not.

7. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

You might be surprised how long some people hold onto your fyers. So I am finding out. Good idea about the magnets that's being creative. Maybe, try direct mailing the magnets.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If the door is wood, then stick it securely to the doorknob. Do not and I repeat DO NOT open the storm door if there is one to do this! If I pulled around the corner, or in the drive, or worse yet, opened my door to find you with my door open, there's gonna be problems! I don't care if you're the Publisher's Clearinghouse guy! Just my .02.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

That's the first thing that poped to my mind was that most doors are made of wood and aluminum. Go to staples and buy the magnets that you can apply your business card to. They can put them on the frig. Your name and number will be there everytime they are in the kitchen. I think a good promo idea is frisbees. Give them out everytime that you give an estimate. That would ahve a lasting impression on the person that you give them to. They not only will have your logo on them, but the person receiving them might consider you for the job cause of your thoughfulness.

Just an idea......

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

What about door knob hangers? I mean those things like you see in hotels that say "do not disturb".