door to door advertising ?anybody tried this?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by jerryo, Apr 23, 2007.

1. CaptainPike

CaptainPike LawnSite Member

So the whole trick is finding newly purchased homes?

Shouldn't be a problem for me. My father in law is a licensed realtor.
  2. aarons lawn

aarons lawn LawnSite Member

how much stuff do you buy from door to door sales people? probally nothing its anoying advertise in a phone book ect.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

The only time we knock on the door is if a neighbor or customer says x is interested. Other than that we buy 20000 or more business cards and run a special on the back. Kind of like a loss leader but really no loss, just a bit less profit. Usually run free aeration with signed yearly contract. figure the 50 bucks I would make off an aeration is far less than what it takes in phone book adds and what not. We average a 15-20 percent response and land 5% yearly accounts and another 8% on onetime jobs. Thing is we only do this in the spring but get calls throughout the year.
  4. Omaha_Friendly

Omaha_Friendly LawnSite Member

As long as you prepared to have the door slammed on you a few times it works. Make sure you have a good opening line but do not come across as a salesman. Something like "hey we are working on one of your neighbors lawns and thought I would drop some information". Low pressure, soft sale. Give them information and facts about their lawn or specials you are running. Do not say I will beat any price unless you want a quit exit out of the industry. Like the guys said above, sale value, not price.
  5. S_Perrreault

S_Perrreault LawnSite Member

I do this same thing - not color coded, but the same idea - pick your lawns
  6. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya newly homes are always a gold mine for me. New couples that buy a house usually have 2-3 toddles and are very busy with them and work, so they don't have much time on their yard. Most older folks and plenty more time to do stuff around their house.
  7. nancelawn

nancelawn LawnSite Member

its successful for me.
  8. McClanahan73

McClanahan73 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I do a couple condo associations that run parallel to a golf course. The back yards connect to the golf course, with the far unit close to one of the tees. I put a couple low profile signs in along the border, that are out of view to the home owner. The nice thing about it, is it is in an area were people constantly slice it. Have had a fair share share of calls, from interested parties. I have also had a few near misses from golf balls while mowing. Golfers seem to appreciate a well manicured turf, therefore that is the type of home owner I try to relate with, not to mention many golfers are retired, and have the means to hire out. Putting signs in your prized lawns, whether residential or commercial will catch someones eye.
  9. McClanahan73

McClanahan73 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I realize that was off topic a bit, just trying to relay other cheap alternatives to advertising.
  10. Misterbigge

Misterbigge LawnSite Member

I threw plastic baggies with my biz card and two pieces of hard candy (Brand name such as Brachs in wrappers!) by front doors during down time. I mow as a side line and found about 1/3 of customers with this method.