door to door advertising ?anybody tried this?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by jerryo, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

if you want a "SWEET" manicured lawn give me a call:)
  2. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I actually knocked on the doors at first. I'm not the best salesman in the world, but I don't think this is more efficient than just leaving a flyer. Most people are going to say no, so, in my opinion, you've wasted that time waiting for them to come to the door and talking to them. Let's say that you're response rate (if that's what you call it) is 2%. Then you have to pass out 100 flyers to get 2 calls back. If you go door to door you might raise the response rate a little, but it will take much longer to knock on all those doors, so I'd prefer to use that time passing out more flyers. One thing I will be doing again this year that I don't see very much:

I am making a space on my flyer to write in an estimate. This could end up being a waste of time as well, but it doesn't take very long; in fact you could write the estimate in while you are walking to the door. I'm not going to do look in their back yard though, so I have to put a disclaimer ("estimate based on front lawn"). If they actually read the flyer, it might help if they like the estimate you give them.