Door to door advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Timbo, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried door to door advertising. I don't think it would work well in residential areas, but I am considering the possibility for businesses around my area. I just talked to a friend who is in the business and "apparently" he picked up around 20 accounts in a week. The area he was in does not have many lawn service companies out there. Around my area we do. Does anyone have experience doing this and how did it turn out?
  2. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

anyone? ever? never?
  3. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

You are correct. As far as residential is conserned you dont know what to expect,( not home, do it themselves,etc,etc). Now with commercial on the other hand, if they are open there is always someone to talk to and they almost always hire someone to do their lawn for them. I have set a route for myself for this upcomming season and will see how it goes.
  4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Always worth a try!
  5. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

2 questions. (1) Are you a good salesman? (2) What do you look like?

Because the answers are going to greatly affect your results, IMO.

if the answers, are, (1) Yes, and (2) I clean up well, I would bet you will see good results with your potential commercial clients. I have even had decent luck in high end residential areas.
  6. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I would say I am a decent salesman. At least people seem to like me when they meet me. I usually pick up the contracts of the estimates I go on, have great word of mouth, and many return customers.

As far as looks, you're not going to see me in GQ or anything but I'm not a scrub. I would go in wearing jeans and a nice Polo with my company name on it.

I think I'm going to give it a try. It can't hurt. If it works, great. If not, well, live and learn.
  7. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I need to do the same thing. Been thinking about it for a while. i need to take a day off of work and visit businesses all day and see what I can get, especially before the competition gets them first.
  8. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Good answer, Most people forget that selling yourself can be a very hard task.
  9. BD Bone

BD Bone LawnSite Member
    from USA

Have Used this and has worked. However, must be willing to accept the "No Thanks" a lot and the No Soliciting Speeches. Your Appearance means Everything!! Jeans is not going to cut it...especially in a business industrial parkway where the bare-minimum dress code requirement is khaki's and button down longsleeve shirts. If you want to sell yourself, put yourself into your potential client's shoes. Do you look like you are a business professional? Do you envoke a clean cut appearance. If you don't, what does it say about how you would take care of their lawn? Just based on my own personal experience. It is most definitely worth your time to establish a rapport and for them to put a face with the name. It boils down to good people skills and an ability to sell and read what your prospects needs are. Good luck keep me posted on your results.
  10. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

I have done door to door sales for 27 years, in 3 different business. It is all the same. Sales, is sales, is sales. It's all numbers. You must be willing to get rejected by 80% of the people you will come in contact with, to get to speak with 20%, to sell 2 of them. Calling on the Business market is harder than residential because in most cases the decision maker (owner) is not there. Don't waste your time talking to a manager, secretary, cashier, etc. Bottom line, it works, if you work it. I have a salesman who does nothing but this, and picks up sales most everyday. Jump in and give it a go, just don't give up after a couple hours and say it's too hard.