Door to door mulch offer $60 per yard installed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RonWin, Jun 10, 2012.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at a lot of the lots in my neighborhood the beds seem pretty bare or unkept and was thinking of leaving some advertising/knock and talking. Would this price scare off most people? Does this seem fair? The beds that are unkept would obviously have to be prep'd and will vary on the amnt of time to rdy for mulch spreading. (what would you charge for the time/amnt of work for the bed prep?). I came up with $60 per yard mulch installed by $30= mulch delivered $30 mulch labor per yard. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried to really hit home mulching or just stick to the same list of services with your company name?

2. Tq23

Tq23 LawnSite Member

If you have the time, then go for it. They may turn out to me yearly mulch customers.

3. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have the time/energy and it will make you money, then go for it. I personally went up A LOT on mulch this year. Mainly because I really don't like doing it and my margins (even at the price I charge currently) aren't that much. I prefer sitting on a mower any day :)

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I wish you were NOT so far away....

I could keep you busy all year

5. RonWin

So you guys think that the (should i say naive) customer isnt going to get scared away if i tell them that they need 5 yards and are looking at $300 worth of work/material? If so I will work til i cant move... everyday.

6. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Locally in my smaller town here, the landscape companies that sell and install bulk mulch price is this.
    Larger town a few mile away is more.

NOT colored $30 to $38 a yard.

Delivery $40 to $50 for a ton dump truck load.

Nothing else for the price, customer does the work. I do not know what install charges would be. Your price would be giving it away in this town.

7. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

How much can you haul at one time?

8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

At the price you mention, I think you need to change your name to "ronlose" instead of ronwin. I get at minimum $90 a yard installed. I've charged as much as $150 a yard including bed prep.

9. RonWin

The bed prep (weeding clearing leaves debris) and edging is not included. This is strictly spreading the material. I just did a 15 yard mulch job and had to edge a total of 554' which i charged $15 per 100' and then another $70 for the walk behind edger rental. I charge $900 for the material(15yard mulch) and labor. It took me 5 hours with my brother, my friend and I. so the total bill was $1052.50 (edging/material/labor).

10. RonWin

currently i have a guy who sells fine dark mulch for $30 a yard delivered. I have him deliver it (i lose out 5-10 dollars a yard not delivering it myself but i dont have the capability atm to self-deliver). I could upcharge the mulch another 5-10 dollars myself and charge $65-70 per yard (material deliverd + labor). His stuff is real good and i was extremely pleased (as was the customer) with the way the mulch sat.