door to door opening line? any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Midstate Lawncare, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The best I can come up with at this time of day with my 1 month old son fussin' round on me is: "Hi, I'm Nate from Perfect Lawnscapes, and I was hoping you would like a free estimate on lawn and landscape maintenance." any suggestion would be appreciated.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you will find yourself in Jail with in 3 days

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

bohiaa, i don't get it:hammerhead:

TurfControl, thats a pretty good scam you've got goin there:drinkup:

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of thoughts, personally I wouldnt use "hoping" its to soft of an intro. I would be respectful of their time also. "Hello Sir or Madam my name Matt my company name is XYZ and we are providing free estimates in your area today. May I take 2 to 5 minutes to please provide your family with a free lawn maintenance estimate today. It will only take 2 to 5 minutes and it is completely without obligation."

If they say no its a win situation and if they say yes its a win situation. Your only purpose is to show them your face and provide them with a professional offer. Don't expect them to make a buying decision on the spot. I would also send them a follow up letter, supporting and highlighting your company BENEFITS.

5. cpel2004

Check with your city, make sure your not breaking any laws, you may need a license.

6. cleancutslawncare

cleancutslawncare LawnSite Member

I agree, a flyer is nothing more than a design on a sheet of paper. For $250 the flyer should be able to go around and distribute itself. Sounds like a lot of money for what it is.

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Some of you guys are missing out. I am all about door to door. Its not only good excerise, but a way to really and cheap way to add alot of customers to your base. Plus it gives you a leg up on the competition because they have had a chance to meet you, and get a feel of your operation. I know here, TG hires over a 100 people at the beginning of the year, and they hit every neighborhood hard helping keep them #1. I just copy their philosophy and fine tuned it.

As for the going to jail comment, and door to door is dead, what planet are you guys on. Door to door has increase since the dont not call list was created. All the major company's are doing (i.e. ADT, Phone & Cable Co., Private Practice Dr. Ofc...etc). I am not sure how it is everywhere else, but Door to door is huge around here and I dont see a lot of LCO using this to their advantage.

Here are a few ideas on how to approach a prospect....

Hi, I am So and So with So and So LCO and we were just in the neighborhood doing a lawn anaylsis and Estimate for one of your neighbors and thought we would see if there was anyone else looking for a one stop shop Full service LCO.

Hi, I am So and So with So and So LCO and we are in the neighborhood providing Homeowners with free Lawn anaylsis and estimates.

Hi, I am So and So with So and So LCO, and we just signed up one of your for a Full Service Plan and wanted to see if you and your family needed a full service LCO to take the worry off you of having to keep track with 2 or 3 different company's for your Lawn and Garden needs.

There are more, but I will not tell all for free. But the key is not what you are saying in your pitch, but your body language and keeping a smile on your face. Oh, and it helps to be knowledgable, well dressed, and Up-front and Honest.

8. cpel2004

One question wheres the guarantee.

9. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

deet dee dee! ok buddy.
    research your stuff before you answer questions.

You have the right Idea and I wouldn't try to sell somthing unless I knew my stuff

$10 for the year in my city, and in Springfield IL, you need no permit, just leave the property if someone tells you.

did you get into this business "knowing" how much money you'd make, so where's the guarantee? I've had great luck going door to door, but I've never sold for my own business (new). I thought my opening line was a little weak, that is why and what I asked in the beginning of this thread.Thank you cpel2004 and tjsquickcuts for your posts. You helped alot.

10. GrassMastersKS

GrassMastersKS LawnSite Member

I've learned not to jump straight to 'DO you want an ESTIMATE?'. Instead, i start off with something along the lines of "Hello, my name is &%$##, owner of XYZ, a Lawn Care company. I wish not to sell you anything, but only say hello and inform you of our service." After that it typically drifts off to favorite teams, weather, nice house, or other stuff. Before leaving ask permission to get their name and number. That way you make a follow up call or mailing that reinforms them about you before the season. (plus it saves you from buying a mail list). I've done this once and the turnout was 11/100. (11%). My fathers a broker and i learned from him. Very effective if done correctly.