1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

door-to-door pitch

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by justin234, May 12, 2005.

1. justin234

justin234 LawnSite Member

Hello all,

I'm just starting out and have almost no money. My current form of marketing is going door-to-door and selling my services.

I get nervous doing it, but I think I'll get better with each new face.

Do any of you have any pointers on how I could be the most effective at selling my services door-to-door?

Thanks! :)
  2. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I do on Saturdays!
    High my name is Josh, with All Lawns & Landcare Services. We're in the area today given free estimates for lawn care............................The rest is small talk and a little B.S.

The best way to sell I have learned is to act like you really dont care whether they bite or not. I usually wear jeans with boots and a tucked in collar shirt, with logo on it. Try to kinda look at the yard before you knock.
  3. justin234

Hey thanks Josh - I'll give that a try. :)
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi justin234,

Maybe also bring along a flyer that you can give them, possibly write your quote to service their lawn on it.
  5. justin234

Good idea. Thanks. :)
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I like to joke around with them. I ask if they already have someone taking care of their yard work. If I ask a guy, 99% of the time he says "Yeah, me" and kind of grumbles. I laugh and talk about what a pain in the ass it is or how hot it is and then I tell them "If it gets too hot or you get too busy, give us a call and we can mow, trim, edge and blow off all the clippings for $36 a week." I stick to neighborhoods where the properties are all about the same size, so I don't have to walk each one and measure it. I just figure out a price and give it to them. If the yard looks to be a bit bigger or smaller, I'll adjust a little, but I always give them a price right there.

I ran into a realtor at a house the other day and I told her "If you want someone to keep this yard looking good so the house sells faster, give us a call. We can mow, trim and edge for $31 a week." The homeowner called me the next day.

I don't think people like to give you too much of their time. Some do, but most don't. They know you are there to sell something and they don't want to wait an hour to find out it is nothing they want. Get to the point. If you immediately get the sense that they are too busy or too important to talk to you, tell them "I can see you're very busy and I don't want to take up any of your time. My name is Joe and I have a local lawn care business. If you get too hot or too busy, just give us a call and we can mow, trim, edge and blow off all the clippings for $40 a week."

It's the same pitch you always use and it only takes a few seconds to deliver it. The difference is that instead of starting out with a 10 second joke, you start out with a 10 second apology for taking up their time. I signed a guy up last week with this one. He wouldn't even open the door all the way and I could tell that he was just waiting for me to pause long enough for him to say that he was not interested.

I've had luck with this when a mother opens the door and I can see that the kids are driving her crazy. "You look like you've got your hands full. Let me just leave this flyer with you and if you need a break from all the work around the house, we can come out and mow, trim, edge..."
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

doesnt hurt to do some reading on the subject, thats what you are at that point, a salesman... sell it to them man..... :drinkup:
  8. justin234

Wow - pagefault. Great information. Thanks! :)