Door to door solicitation ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had done this thisevening hit a complete neighborhood homes in the 200,000+ range 75 homes in neighborhood in a well known area. 80% of people where home I got 3 people who will think about using my services ( 12 month service agreement) and 1 person wants a quote on aeration is this a good thing ? or do you think I didnt get enough ? If I could get one customer I think that would be worth my time but I have so far only 3 people who are thinking about getting a quote they didnt even ask for a quote. Should I keep going with this ? I have tried just about every way to tackle residential maintenance everything from brochures, fliers, cold calling, news paper adds, door to door solicitation, introductions letters ect....only thing I havent done so far is yellow pages add and that is because they forgot to put it in this year ! What do you guys think

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I live in a city of about 450,000 and place and ad in the service directory. The cost is $140 for on month. It might gross me $1500 or more. I have an add coming out in the yellow pages in November. I have heard mixed opinions on this one, but have to at least try.

MATT

3. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I tried door to door a few times and have gotten limited results. I think that it has about the same % as flyers door to door so why not save the time knocking and start walking.

As far as the service directory... I'm not sure that I will do that again anytime soon. I live in a town of 1 million+ and it just covers too much area (i.e. shotgun vs. rifle method). I turned down more work than i got due to out of area. And anyways most people call everyone in the listing (20+) creating a lowballers market.

Yellow Pages... same thing, shotgun. But nice for credibility if you can afford it!

Good luck man.

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Cold calling did me VERY little good in the residential area. Commercial was ok.

I wouldn't give up on yellow pages just yet. What I found is ya got to get specific with your advertizing. I got tons of biz from there. After realizing the low income group was mostly what was contacting me, I began wording my ads to read, Commercial and Large Residential Welcome.
    That seemed to make a huge dif.
    You got to tell potential customers that YOU are what they are looking for. By wording the ad that way they realized that you were not a little dude with little equipment. Put in your ad how many years ya got in biz, or experience. If you got insurance and license put that in as well. The guys that run Walker brand, Walker will allow you to put a Walker mower in your ad for free. They feel it is free advertizing for them too.

Good luck.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

illl differ . i think this buisiness lends itself to cold calling,if u know how to sell.
    if u dont flyers better, probably.
    i get my new buisiness from referals an a small ad in a local shopper type paper.
    if i wanted to work that hard ,i can add new accts cold calling anytime. just knock on enough doors ,and i dont have the time,nor am i dressed properly for it most of the time. but it can wk,for certain individuals.another thing work gained by cold calling is very iffy for the first yr or so.
    jmho

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

AWM what has worked best for you ???

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Bunton Guy, I'm not sure how you did it but I would think that if you could give them a price on the spot it would be a big advantage. I buy and sell stuff and when I see stuff for sale if there is no price on it I don't even look twice. I right away figure they want too much for it. Give them a price on the spot and you will have a better chance of getting the job.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This might be a little unrelated, but I have found that if I give an estimate over the phone, I very seldom get the job. If I meet the homeowner on site, I will close on about 80% of the jobs. In the spring I closed on 100% of every job I looked at and gave an estimate. Made me think that my prices are too low. I kept telling that to myself. This winter I am going to do some serious cost of doing business analysis.

MATT

9. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I've gotten good results on commercial accounts with cold calling. Residential: Flyers have scored about 2%. The best has been word of mouth and people walking up while mowing in their neighborhood to ask if we can get to them. If you do a quality job people notice. When their LCO quits or does poor work or someone new moves in, they remember that good lookin' lawn down the street.

10. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Walker Talker, you must be a likeable person.
    It is sales 101. If the perspective customer like you, you will get the sale. Even if you are a few bucks higher than the others.

Flyers are for getting the name out there. Same with the book.

If you can win them over during the sales pitch, you've got one. Not only that, they will refer you to friends and relatives.

Instead of researching the stats on advertising, learn how to be a people person. First notice something about the customer like the Vette in the garage, or the flower garden or whatever, and compliment their taste.

Good luck