Door to Door time!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EarthGuard, Feb 6, 2008.

1. EarthGuard

EarthGuard LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if you guys do door to door or just hang flyers. Going to do both and have all the permits etc..
    How do you guys greet a person who just opened their door to you. I have a rough idea(hi im....with...., Im in the neighborhood giving free estimates for.....I noticed that your lawn/trees/shrubs need.......etc...)

Any tips for someone new in the whole sales thing?(starting asap and i can find and buy books on my own thanks, looking to the pro's that know this business)
    thanks
    -mac:):drinkup:

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

More power to you, I've never had the balls to go beatin down doors. The last time I did that I was selling popcorn for boyscouts.

3. pbdlandscaping

pbdlandscaping LawnSite Member

haha you sold popcorn too? hahaha

4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I was the topseller:laugh: No, but really

5. EarthGuard

EarthGuard LawnSite Member

well, i figure this is one of the few businesses that you can actively go get customers instead of having them come to you. Especially when you can spot problems from the front yard and have the ability to solve their problem.

I sold beef jerky and candy bars for cub scouts!!!:weightlifter:
    -mac

6. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I ate my way through the beef jerky and candybars for the fat merit badge.
    :weightlifter:
    lol. Door to door is great, it is intense and ultra rewarding. I hate it, but when the day is done.... you can make some serious money!!!! you may go days without a sale, then get twenty in a day.

7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im starting with 1,500 doorhangers on Saturday morning.

8. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

don't start before 10 a.m. you might get some angry people.

9. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont ever tell anyone that their lawn needs caring for or their trees and shrubs are a mess.This may be true but trust me they dont want "you" to tell them.They very well could feel insulted and you will have no chance.
    I learned real fast when i sold cars to never tell someone their car was junk, no matter what you have to remember its theirs even if it dont suit your standards.

10. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

I painted rocks..you know yellow, green, and blue...oh yea red and went door to door and sold them with ny next door neighbor when we was kids hehe. 25 cents etc. we did well was able to buy some ice cream and candy bars etc.

hehe door to door is great if you have the skill to do so. hangers/flayers are great as well and classified ads work really great. As long as you make enough sales to cover your cost and labor doing so you are golden imo.

too many damn beers tonight grrr. hehe