Door to Door

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by suprman9019er, Feb 14, 2007.

1. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

First off how many of you actually use door-to-door marketing? Secondly, what do you guys say to the customer that seems to work well? I'm just trying to plan on my stradegy and am lookin for some help

2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I do not knock on every door. I just leave a flyer on the door. If the homeowner happens to be outside then i talk to them.

3. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

Same here....door-to-door has been my best advertising strategy. If someone is outside I just introduce myself and tell them what I do and explain a bit, then say thank you for their time.

4. suprman9019er

Well i plan on doing that once the weather gets nicer and people are actually outside but since theres 8 inches of snow on the ground thats not really an option. Next weekend im planning on going door-to-door ringing doorbells and talking to folks hoping to pick up some customers.

5. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I use door to door and talk to anyone that wants to talk to me it may take alittle longer but i find it worth it. When i leave flyers i don't get nearly as many customers when I talk to them. Although some people don't like to be bother so they just take the flyer and close the door plus if you don't like rejection I wouldn't go door to door. I use it as a game to see how many i can get. When I had a friend help me we made a bet to see how many we could get. the winner got something like 5 dollars.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I used to do a lot of door to door work for new install work. My opener was "Have you made a decision on your landscaping". Safe, non threatening, open ended question.

Just a side note. I was at a Franchising and Business Opportunity convention over the weekend at our local convention center. There were these big signs everywhere for "The Prodigy". They were doing interviews in a ballroom upstairs my thing was downstairs. Anyway, I found out this is a new reality show they are doing similar to The Apprentice. Except they are taking college students and turning them into door to door salespeople over the summer. I asked if they could Prodigy for me, they said they had it covered. Always on the lookout for labor.

7. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I don't do door to door.
    I just hated it when someone ring my door bell and try to sell me something. However, If he/she wants to leave door hanger/flier by my front door, I'm ok with that. But please, don't ring my door bell.

8. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

door to door is an outstanding way to get "leads" or customers- or at least a "I'll give you a shot." It 's the most gutsy and stressful at first, but once you can do that without wanting to crap your pants- you'll get more customers than you can shake a stick at. You have to have a tough shell to do it though. I had some pretty embarrassing moments doing it in a sales capacity. Also, you have to know your stuff and be able to answer specific questions on the spot- otherwise, you'll look like a moron. You'll get, "Hey, what's this type of weed? What type of weed killer would you use on that? Do you have to be licensed for that? Let me show you this brown spot...what causes that?" etc. You'll get business though. I personally don't do it. Someone will say I'm crazy, but I bet it's the most effective way of getting initial customers out of all the other methods of advertising- except maybe referrals (which are basically a done deal as long as you don't try to charge 2 times the average fees.)

9. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

If there was 8" of snow on the ground that was the time to grab a shovel and go knocking door to door. You could ask them if they wanted their sidewalk cleared and left flyers for your upcoming mowing season.

10. suprman9019er

Very true, but its to freaking cold for that, haha