Doorhanger Distribution Toady...........

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by precisioncut, Mar 1, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

..............was good. Except for the fact that some of the folks where outside there home and when we handed them the doorhanger they would just hand them back. At least there not wasting it but it still gets me down a bit. Oh well, I'll have to keep on "truckin." Has this happened to any of you over the years?

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I hate those encounters with customers!! I won't pass out flyers if people are standing outside of their homes!

3. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

Let us know of your results... how many you past out to how many return calls.... Thanks

4. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Thats my best time to sell. I purposely do distributions during the weekends hoping to find people.

5. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I find that seeing the home owner working in the lawn is the best time to sell yourself to them. Sure, I get some handed right back to me, but my success rate is much higher by talking with them, than leaving it on the door.

I also try to meet with them face to face when doing bids. It is not always possible, but I get 75% of bids that I meet with them personally, and less than 50% if I leave the bid on the door.

6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that when I see them that is the best time to hand them the door hanger. It gives them a chance to ask any questions they may have right there, and not have to call blindly to a new company. Also, it gives me a chance to show them the attention and customer service they can expect, by letting them know I will be on site at every job, unlike some other LCO's locally.
    I will walk down the street if I see someone outside, and come back to do the rest of the block just for that extra chance to talk to a potential customer.
    Think of it this way, you can hand out door hangers, or you can hand out a door hangers with a personal message and introduction. I'll pick the second choice everytime. Sure, you'll get those that hand it right back, but you would never had heard from them anyhow, so don't let it get to you.
    Good luck, I'll be doing mine the next week or so. Getting up around 50 and 60 here, so people are starting to think green!

7. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

I hate it when you have to talk to the people, and before you even start talking they just start making up excuses. The one I hate the most is "O well thats the only exercise I get" what are some of the ones that you get.

8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I like to encounter people and talk while passing out my flyers but just the old hand back gets me down. But like you all have said, it's better to hand them a flyer and a personal introduction than just hanging it on the door.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Precisioncut,

Don't let them get you down. You can't win over everyone but you can win over some. Keep up the great work!