doorhangers falling off doors

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jcs Lawn and Landscape, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

As i went out yesterday and hung some doorhangers i noticed that half of them were on the ground ten mintutes later. They stay of the doors with the actual door knobs but they fall of the screen door ones. Do you guys usually open up the screen door and put it on the one inside. Also i was thinking about bringing some tape with me so i can tape it to the handle just incase winds come so it doesnt fly off and look like litter in their yards.

2. jason u

jason u LawnSite Member

Last year I had some issues with opening screen doors. There was one house I was leaving an invoice at, no mailbox and I had no bags with me, so I thought why not just leave it in between the doors?

Not a good idea (at this particular house, never had a problem with many others) because the alarm went off when the door opened. What do I do, there's no one home and the alarm is going off, my decaled truck is parked in front of their house. Thankfully the neighbour came out to see, and he was taking care of the place while owners were away, and turned it off. Lesson Learned - take bags or tape.

3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Glad to know I am not the only one that has happened to. I usually do flyers, and leave them on the door. Something bright, to get their attention. The more creative you are with your flyer/doorhanger, the more likely you are going to at least get a call. Its actually a federal violation to put anything on or in someones mailbox with out their consent. So be aware of that, and those NO SOLICITATION RULES. I always say, I was just giving your neighbor a estimate, and just wanted to see if any of the neighbors needed service while I was in the area. Usually works, just have to stay professional.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a bunch off posts about people "taping" the fliers to the door, now I'm a nice guy, but if someone put tape on my door I would get PISSED.

I agree, stay away from the mailbox, unless they are your current customer then it is okay.

I use the plastic sleeves with the door knob hole in it. They are a pain to stuff but you can put multiple things in it if you want, like one time I filled little zip loc bags (dime bag size:laugh: ) with a table spoon of leftover old grass seed. It made for a catchy flier.

I'll open a screen door if no knob but I'll first try to roll it and place it in the handle first.

5. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

ill have to watch out for that to make sure the alarm doesnt go off when i open the screen door. But i am talking about taping it to the handle so it doesnt blow off not the door.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it is NOT OK it is a federal offence, this has been beaten to death here, please search the subject, you will find no one thinks its ok to break the fedeal law, many here hve already been fined....

7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We had magnetic business cards printed up and they work pretty well for keeping the flier on the door (as long as it's a metal door) for wood doors I just use the magnet as a paper weight and lay the flier at the foot of the door.

You could also try stapling a rubber-band to the top corner of the flier and then you just place the rubber-band w/flier around the doorknob.
    Both of those techniques have worked well for us in the past.

8. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used doorhangers for other uses, say putting them on cars, or is this unprofessional?

9. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

cwlawley - I don't see it as unprofessional...just an unneeded expense. Door hangers are usually a bit more expensive.... I'd rather run out and get card stock printed and cut into thirds. = same size as small door hangers, and yet a bit cheaper. I've put brochures on cars, not the best form of advertisement, as about 50% of the cars were all vacationers (it was Spring Break, hah, I should have known!) Good luck!

10. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^ I wasn't thinking about the costs. You're right. We have a lot of painters and handymen that put flyers on cars at grocery stores, etc. They say that it is their number one source of advertising. Thought I might try it just not sure if it is unprofessional or not.