doorhangers vs. direct mail

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kalyeah, Nov 24, 2004.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me there response rate for doorhangers vs. direct mail. I've done the doorhangers with pretty good success, but hate having to walk all over town. I know the direct mail costs more. I'm just wondering if it gets better results, or if the results are about the same. Thanks in advance.

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I found that direct mail seemed to work better for me. I would imagine it would depend mostly on the area you are in and such. I hated handing out doorhangers...in fact I have about 4000 in my closet. If you do direct mailing look on the USPS website. There are ways that you can get that 37 cent stamp down to about 12 cents.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

12 cents is pretty damn cheap!!! In the spring I mail out 5000 postcards and it cost me .20 cents and I thought that was good....normally .23 if its a postcard measuring 4.25" x 6". I have actually had a better respose rate with doorhangers. I hate walking also, so I paid some guys to do it for me. Next year I will probably have my nieces and nephews help me out or check into hiring the boyscouts. I am also checking into flyers inserted into neighborhood newsletters.

When comparing expenses....5000 postcards cost me about $1000 where I can send 15,000 flyers for about $600 or so.

4. drsogr

There are a bunch of hoops that you have to jump through to get down to 12 cents..but its worth it. The USPS website has a whole page dedicated to this stuff.

Discount Mail USPS

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Walker-Talker,

That is a good idea with the boyscouts. Or even maybe a local little league team in return for you sponsoring their team? If you make this happen let us know.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I think I will look in to that this spring we bought 5000 stamps at once and my god does that get expencive.

7. drsogr

I hope you got the pre-licked ones....that could turn into an episode of seinfield if you didn't!

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

No doubt. As forementioned, that .20 cents included the print of the postage on the postcard as well as the target name and address on the postcard...it was all part of the package. It would of cost me more to have the mailing address lables, the purchase of the stamps and not to mention the tremendous amout of time that it would take to apply all those lables and stamps.....that would take hours!!!

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

here y i like direct mail, say you want to work in a certain area in say on Any street, in any town. just go down the street and write down the first and last # of the street and send them out addressed to current resident. thats how i plan to do it or do a property tax look up on the street name and bam you got names and addresess http://sarasotataxcollector.governmax.com/collectmax/collect30.asp

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I see a lot of good suggestions on this page, but I'd like to pose a question. Would you get more calls if you sent mailers to 5,000 homes or two mailers each to 2,500 homes?

I have no idea if two mailers to 2,500 homes would do me better than one mailer to 5,000 homes, but it occurs to me that it might. Same cost, in most cases, I hope. Does anyone have any idea what the response numbers work out like?

Also, we might bear in mind that mailers backed by flyers might garner some pretty impressive numbers.