Doppler Radar On My Phone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 man crew, Dec 20, 2002.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I just posted this on Plowsite.

I purchased a Sprint Vision cell phone (samsung A500) a few weeks ago. I finally got around to trying out the web. I found 2 sites that will load a Doppler radar loop right on to the phone with no laptop, handheld or other piece of equipment.

The speed is a little slow but once it loads it's fine.

I can't wait until this summer when we get a storm or rain shower moving through and I can make a decision no matter where I am.
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: 2 man how do you long onto site from phone, thinking of getting a new phone and that would be awesome, how do they know where you are to show you the loop. tony
  3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

You just enter a zip code.

you can get the radar for any zip code you need.
  4. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I just got a PCS Sprint vision phone(sanyo 4900) on nov. 17. I love mine and its very useful. However, i didnt subscribe to the vision plan because it costs $10 more per month. I was told that u can also access a GPS!!!
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

2 man,

I also have the Vision deal.

RADAR: (Twin Cities, MN)

What works better for me is KTCA Channel 17. Or what I call "The radar channel". This channel broadcasts MNDOT Aviation weather for most of the day. I think between 5PM and Midnight it become PBS.

Best Buy or Circuit City have a nice little battery powered 2" TV. Its CASIO TV-970 and cost $79. The four AA batteries last about 3 hours of non stop viewing (football game). I get decent reception all the way out to Buffalo for Ch 17.

I haven't tried it frozen, but I assume your cab has heat.
  6. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Doppler radar on the phone.. man that could also be a lifesaver as far as tornados go.
  7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sibling that's a manager for Sprint pcs (can't say where). He/she says the second generation of vision phones will eclipse the first. There's also some other things in the pipeline according to him/her. I've just decided to keep my 500/1500 until it comes out.
  8. Nextel has had this for close to 3 years now.
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Sounds like a nice feature.......

if it rained between May and October.......
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess this feature is only available if you go w/ the Net feature on your phone. I too have had NEXTEL for many years now, but bill is high enough to nont have this featrure.