dormant bermuda damaged by Round up.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by okgrassguy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. okgrassguy

okgrassguy LawnSite Member

After much researching, reading and debate I decided to spray my dormant bermuda with Roundup to help control Poa annua.

First off I dont consider myself a typical homeowner that bombards the lawn with 3x the amount of chemicals to kill one weed. I enjoy learning turf management and the correct way to do things.

Anyways I checked closely and found no green bermuda and applied on 2/21
    .75 oz/m of roundup + 1.5oz/m oryzalin pro through a backpack sprayer that I have calibrated and practiced with hundreds of times to ensure good coverage.

I did manage to overlap a few areas ( see pic ) It is not horrible and believe it will recover. What would be the best way to speed recovery? Water and time, it seems early to fert. Also the area to the right has always been slow to break dormancy. It is the only Tifway in my otherwise U3 lawn

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hit it with fertilizer and plenty of water.Since it's broken dormancy,by quite a bit,you can apply fertilizer now.It'll help speed up recovery.
    Every month,during the growing season,apply 1lb of nitrogen per 1000 sq ft. for bermuda.

3. okgrassguy

Would 21-0-0 ammonium sulfate from lesco do the trick?

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

That's fine,but remember the sulfate will lower pH of the soil.So,if your soil pH is already low(below 5 for bermuda(should be 5-7 for best results) then I wouldn't add it.I'd just use a nitrogen,low sulfate fert.If your pH is over 7,then definately use it.

5. okgrassguy

Ph was 6.7 at last soil test, was even considering Scotts Liquid Turfbuilder for a quick shot of N to last until early - mid april

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Still a little early and cool for the bermuda to take off. We killed some last year and it still isn't fully recovered seems like residual from roundup stayed in the ground or something. Funny when you are trying to kill bermuda in the dead of the summer in beds you have trouble.