Dormant Seeding in MN

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Summett, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Summett

Summett LawnSite Member

Hi All. I have a couple questions for you all regarding dormant seeding [live in mn]. We just completed our newly built home [:cool2: ] and basically have mud for a yard. Although my 1 yr old boy & 4 yr old girl thinks it's great, dad is more of a "grass guy".

I believe that it's too late to now to seed for germination here in central mn, so i was planning on trying dormant seeding to get things rolling next spring. Then i suppose i'll work on it all next year with reseeding, fertilizing, weed control, etc.

My question is, when is a good time to dormant seed here in my area, and being a completely excavated area, i have heard suggestions of using a hay spreader over the top to stop the bird buffett & the washing away of the seed.

Oh, and the area i am looking at doing is about 1 1/2 acres, so fairly large area.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated! Thanks.
  2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I know you're pretty far north, but I would be tempted to jump on it right now and get something growing. Someone in your area (ag extension for example) would have an idea for a quick germinating variety that does well in your climate. Most cool season grasses will over-winter very well even as young plants. If nothing else, an annual rye will be up in just a few days and knit the soil together, keep the mud down, and give you a base to start with next Spring.