1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dormant Seeding?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tell me, oh wise ones.....we had this discussion about "dormant seeding" a while back. now, we've had below freezing temps, followed by mid 50's temps, followed by below freezing temps, to snow, sleet, and followed again by mid 50's weather. how do you think the "dormant seeding" is going? i think i'll just seed in fall, as usual, you know, THE RIGHT WAY. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'll let you know in the spring when it germinates.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

bobby what happend to your test plot u did?
    still mud or got grass?

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

nope. i had nothing, then some thin, sparse growth (like the top of my head) then it froze and withered.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is not dormant seeding. That is just throwing seed down at the wrong time.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I am glad I didn't do any this year.

Late November and all of December was colder than January has been. Most of January in NJ has been in the 50's and 60's. Last weekend alone it was 63 both Saturday and Sunday, yesterday it was 60. So any dormant overseeding you might have done in my neck of the woods would have been ok in November and December, but probably would show sighs of germination in January (of all months).

Now February it will get cold again (forecasted) and that will kill the dormant seeding idea IMO for springtime results.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You gotta wait until dead of winter to "dormant seed" Bobby.

You can't put out the seed with your winterizer apps and expect success. If you do it that way mother nature will get part of it. Indian Summer will come, it will pop out, then get frostbit and you'll have less in the spring.

Those of us who live in areas where there is no real solid real winter either have to be smarter with our timing or apply a little extra in expectation of some loss.

But yes, fall is the preferred time to overseed. No question about that. It's just not always the better option. Sometimes our schedules or the weather don't permit. Weather was an issue for me Fall '05 and I did NO overseeding on non-irrigated sites. So some of them were put on a list for dormant seeding. I haven't done it yet. Don't even have plans for it yet.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ground temps are still to cold for germination, I've planted in April with the germination starting in end of may because of the ground temps being to cold.

9. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I was going to do some dormant seeding here, but thought better of it. WI winters lately have been terrible, we always seem to have a thaw in jan/ feb. This year, there is no doubt that the seed would have rotted by now..

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

how so? december is TOO EARLY for "dormant seeding?"