1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dormant seeding?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnBrother, Sep 21, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I'm in ohio, and I will be doing seedings for the first time this year. My question is, when is it too late to seed fescue? Should I seed now and try to get the seeds to germinate, or wait until November and try dormant seeding, so that the seed sits in the ground and germinates in the spring? By your experiences is either method better? Advice is really appreciated, I either need to seed now or wait. Recommendations PLEASE!
  2. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Seed Now Seed Now Seed Now Seed Now ;)
  3. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

I second that.
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Dormant seeding is OK. Had some luck with it. We had a very rainy winter here in CT, so alot of the seed I put down on my own lawn ended up in the neighbors yard down hill. His lawn looks great. The TTT fescue I put down germinated beautifully in the area he typically had disease problems and is coming in very nicely. JUST IN THE WRONG $#@^%%$#$@#%&& YARD!!!
    I did no soil prep at all. Just chucked some seed down. Wanted to see what would happen. It was a pretty good slope with little to no vegetation on it. I kind of figured it would happen anyway, but was curious to see how far seed would move. And move it did.
    The flat areas I seeded in the same manner filled in beautifully. These also had some (50%) existing turf so little washed away.
    Another problem with dormant seeding is your crabgrass preventer.You have to wait until the absolute last minute to apply. I wait until the crabgrass is in the 1st leaf stage (just sprouted) and then apply a good shot of Dimension, followed by a lighter dose 6 weeks later.
    It is always in your best interest to seed at the proper time, but dormant seeding is better than none.
  5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

thanks guys, I was under the impression that I waited a little too long. Looks like I am seeding this week.