Dormant Seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Young Bros, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

Due to the rain/wind this year, we did not get all of our fall core/seedings done. I was thinking of trying dormant seeding this year in November. Have you had success with this? Do you lose some germination vs spring or fall seedings?

2. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to try this as well, curious to get feedback on success rates.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

always put more seed down than you would normally, but it does work well and i have done it. just do it right before a very late in the year before a rain or snow

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We did seed jobs mid August thru mid September (perfect timing). The KBG came up great for those that watered. What I'm finding is that most customers never bothered to water at all......not good cuz we got virtually NO rain. Our minimum charge for seeding is $75, so I just can't figure out why homeowners prefer rock-hard ground with cracks in it instead of new healthy Kentucky bluegrass. :confused:

We stopped seeding by October 1st, and we plan to do some dormant seeding in mid November. Even had great results the 2nd week of December if the ground was not frozen & no snow cover, cuz it came up nicely in early spring. Sometimes seeding is more "luck" than it is science.

5. OrganicsMaine

I'm planning on doing it the week before Thanksgiving. Our overnight temps are usually in the mid-upper 20's by then and daytime highs in the 40's. I am just going to be spot seeding a few properties, not a total seed job.

6. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Only dormant seed bare spots and small areas in early spring. I wouldn't do it on a whole lawn unless there was no crabgrass the yr. before. I prefer crabgrass preventer in the spring over dormant seeding. Spot spraying crabgrass sucks.

7. OrganicsMaine

Do you all think putting the seed down late fall is too early? I can also wait until early spring....as long as we don't have snow cover too late.

8. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

In our case we have enough to do in the spring. :dizzy:

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

10. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

WOW:dizzy: just takes water frequent water 3 x's a day in mid afternoon - keep seed moist not wet, not soggy. Water tell first hard freeze and poof grass - no luck involved. You got 3500 accounts and are one of the better businessmen in the USA and you make a comment like above - WOW not picking on you but I can help - give me a call and we can talk - you got my number.
    Clue - for those with no irrigation set up above ground - meaning timers (orbits), hoses and sprinklers - best are gilmour from Lowes item 99229 or steel spike ones - if customer does not want to buy this stuff - WALK AWAY cause the seed will not grow without rain and IRRIGATION.