dormant seeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DLCS, Oct 15, 2012.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats everyones take on dormant seeding. I got to give a hoa a quote to repaur bare spots on several lawns. President said that many will not water, my suggestion was to do a dormant seeding, instead of seeding now. In hopes that there will be enough moisture in the eraly Spring to sustain growth. This has worked before for me, just wondering what some of you pros think.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Seed b4 winter and be sure it isn't hit with pre-m to early in the Spring... works well but may also be imperfect...

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Last year after some experimental seedings, I had grass coming up even when seeded in November (warm winter). When seeded on top of snow in February, I found seed arising April 8th. Not sure--I say, go for it, but do not guarantee anything. After all...in nature seed falls to the ground in fall and germinates when it is ready. As far as I know...snow will not injure new grass.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Right, no guarantee, these people want a nice lawn but don't want to water. This was my suggestion to them. I'm going ahead with this, we will see how it turns out next Spring.

5. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

Dormant seedings do work, I have done a few of them. You can do them over snow but that is less predictable where the seed will end up making soil contact. I would do it on a day the snow is melted.
    Although, if they arent going to water you could suggest Astroturf.

6. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you just wait for first thing in late winter slash spring then you don't have any concerns associated with "dormant seeding"

On a good day under ideal conditions you only get 80 - 85% germination on top shelf fresh seed in my opinion. Why send that number soaring downwards with this type of seeding?

Dormant seeding is problematic.

7. Smallaxe

There is always the ability to overseed in the Spring after the snow is gone... the seed is easily broadcast into more areas that didn't work quite as desired and the freeze-thaw cycle will plant the seed for you and you continue, progress w/out putting all your eggs in one basket...
    Spring seeding does have many drawbacks and most people think about pre-m more than seed... Dormant seeding is especially valuable for lawns w/out irrigation, as is Spring seeding...

The past 3 Autumns now have caused us to put more seed down for dormant seeding than was put down during the August/September prime time,,, because when the rains didn't come that prime time just went to not-prime-time... :)

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This whole season was not-prime-time.

Also the statement the OP made about an HOA wanting a nice lawn but not wanting to water anything. Tells me they want to put zero effort into it. I would tell them they won't have a nice lawn and wave bye bye.

9. Smallaxe

Definately true... not prime time at all... :)

Most non-irrigated lawns look fine for Spring and Fall around here, but they will not be winning any awards on the mid-summer garden tours... :)

10. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion with proper seed timing in spring and the availability of many new post emergent crabgrass control products has eliminated the worry about spring seeding and crab at least.

So thats kinda cool.