1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do's and Dont's for Mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by American_Lawn, Mar 19, 2006.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I was wondering if there we any books or literature out there that has the do's and dont's for mowing and lawncare. I have mowed yards before, but I want to better my knowledge and be able to do a better, faster job. I know there are lots of different situations, I guess I am looking for the "manual". Stating all the different ways for mowing, edging, and so on.
  2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i have seen books called landscaping for dummies at hd or lowes not sure what they cover..
  3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Read the sticky
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Oh, btw, don't take offense to the "dummies" reference. That is not directed towards you. They make dummies books for everything, and they are pretty easy to understand hence the name "for dummies". I am sure this book exists, and you will pick up some good stuff. However, it will be very basic stuff. The only way that you are really going to get good at mowing, edging, trimming, etc, etc, etc is by practice. Once you know the basics, and safety then as Nike would say "Just Do It". That is the way you will learn.
  5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Good rule of thumb do it like it was your yard and you was paying for somebody to do it do the same quality of work that you would expect out of the company doing your own yard Good luck Twj
  6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Heres one - Dont shoot the clippings into a pool
  7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

8. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

on that note, do you guys offer pool cleaning. Might be a good service but how much does it cut into the schedule? Or would you just come back and do it another time?
  9. MJL1929

MJL1929 LawnSite Member

Try a class at a local tech school. I took a 1 credit class called turf that taught a lot of the basics.
  10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Don't wear sandals...