1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dosatron or Chemilizer?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PHS, Jul 31, 2008.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using a Dosatron or Chemilizer as a portable spray rig?

Have been looking at these things and wondering if I could rig one up in the back of my truck for low pressure apps. Two hose reels, one reel to connect to the water source and one for the spray hose. I don't do apps all day so if it takes a few extra minutes to set up it's not that big of a deal and I could use the extra space in my truck not having to haul around a tank full of water. Any comments?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Mixrite injector on a cart for liquid fertilizer applications on large ornamental beds. This injector adjusts from 3%-10% injection ratios. VERY IMPORTANT. The inlet to the injector/connection to the hose bibb has an RPZ on it. I will not connect such a device to public water without backflow protection. Also, quite a few products contain prohibitions against application through an irrigation system or if it is allowed the water supply must be separated by a water tank. Having said this, it works extremely well for high volume, low pressure applications to turf and ornamentals. I put a 3GPM Chemlawn nozzle on the end of a watering wand and go to it. In public areas, this set up is great. There is no indentifiable "spray machine". This is important in my area. There is a vocal minority that wants to mandate "green". The fewer of them that know someone is applying chemical pesticides and fertilizers the better. I would check with your pesticides enforcement division. I know mine does not allow any hose-end sprayers. So all my set up is used for is high volume application of fertilizers.

3. greendoctor

I can hook up the cart at a hose bibb or QC at some far out-of-sight corner of a property and no one walking past knows I am doing more than hand watering. The watering wand with the sprinkler head at the end does not raise any red flags.

4. PHS

If they consider it to be an irrgation system then that throws a monkey wrench in my idea. I could still use it but pre-m's are high on my list of uses and they aren't labeled for that. I can see how it would be an irrigation system and I can also see how it wouldn't be. Maybe I'll put in a call today and see if I can come up with an official answer. With the cost of fuel and everything else, utilizing a technology like that might really help keeps costs down (keep me from having to buy a larger truck just to haul more water).

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

PHS

I have a Chemilizer injector set up on a 50 gallon skid sprayer with a feeder hose keeping the tank full. I use a float valve and have a 2" siphon break for filling the tank. I use the 1/128 pump but also have the 2/128 pump.

My rig is on a trailer, pulled by a 27 MPG Ranger works great. I use it only for straight Insecticide Application. Yes it will someday be the standard once the injector systems are perfected. For now they must be watched very closely to ensure they are working properly.

6. PHS

I have a Ranger too with a box trailer. When I put the sprayer in the bed then I barely have enough room for other stuff. Then I take it off and put it on a flat trailer and it's a pain to not be able to spray while doing other work. Eliminating the pump, engine, and water tank would be really nice.

What kinds of problems do you run into with them?

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have used chemilizer, dosatron, dosamatic, mazzi, you name it on residential irrigation systems. The chemilizer is good if you have high enough flow rates I forget the exact number but on my properties with small drip zones I could not get it to operate.

The Dosatron and Dosamatic are identical and they seem to operate without a problem regardless of flow rate. They are also the standard at nurseries across the country that are doing hand watering and want to put down some fert too. I have seen them everywhere here and also in New Mexico, Calif, Ind, Ohio, Louisiana, anywhere I have been and looked around at nurseries or big public gardens I have seen a Dosasomething.

The only down side to the dosa's is you have to replace the o-rings about once a year, not that big of deal. You will also need to get a very fine screened wye strainer. I forget the #/screen size but as I recall they are about $ 200-250.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

PHS

When I first bought the Chemilizer I tried hooking it to a Garden Hose just as an experiment. Sorry just not enough pressure and volume to push all that length of hose IMHO. May be it would work for you? Try a PestJet hose end sprayer from Rittenhouse if you want a better hose end sprayer. Or go with a Herbi and no hose to drag. My chemilizer is a second unit used only on a few straight insecticide jobs. I use a Cab Over 98% of the time.

BTW There are Complete Termite rigs that work off a dual hose reel setup with a motor and pump. They are expensive and have no holding tank. However they are designed to put down 100 gallons per 1,000 square feet, or termite rate.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Az Gardener

The reason I went with Chemilizer was my Irrigation supplier. They claim to many problems with Dosatron. All their customers seem to be happy chemilizer and don't have to replace them as often. Sewage Treatment plants are the hardest on injector pumps because the chemicals eat them up. Fertilizer does a great job of eating them up also. The Viscosity of the Material limits what you can inject. I am sure Herbicides would work, But I only do insecticides in mine. If my injector messes up a little with insecticides, I don't have the Liability that I would with Herbicides. I see Injectors as the wave of the future, but they still need to be perfected.

10. greendoctor

If you are thinking about using an injector for applying pre-emergents, the other issue is agitation of the concentrate tank. I do not know of any clear liquid preemergent herbicides other than Betasan, Dimension EC and Pre-M 3.3 EC. The rest are all insoluble suspensions of some kind. Many of the insecticides and fungicides are also not true solutions either. I only feel truly safe injecting soluble fertilizers. I rather apply everything else through an engine driven sprayer with some kind of agitation.