1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

DOT and fines..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grandview (2006), May 7, 2007.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Just talking to another guy and he was pulled in for inspection.

No fire extinguisher
    Only 1 triangle
    No DOT # on truck
    No trailer brakes
    The plastic vent cover was open on the gas can

TOTAL FINES just under 2,000.00

I figure 50 bucks and there would of been no problems.

2. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been stopped, yet. knock on wood, but from what i gather, if they go to the trouble of stopping you, even if he would have had all that stuff right, they will still find a reason to write you a ticket. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, the fact that most of us, with 3/4 ton trucks and trailers rated at the most 14K, need to comply with all of the rules and regs of real trucking companies is a crock. I understand safety, and there are a lot of rigs around my town that need to be shut down, no lights, no brakes, skid steers on 7000lbs trailers etc. But there should be some middle ground where us with pickups and trailers fall. I have to have a medical card and trucks/trailers inspected and all that, but what about my 68 year old great uncle who pulls a 38 foot triple slide travel trailer with his 3/4 ton dodge down to florida every winter? nothing, cuz it's recreational. sorry to get kinda off topic, but it's just one of those things that keeps me:confused:

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The trailer with no brakes is a :nono:

You should have a set of road triangles in the truck regardless the size they come in a box with 3 of them fit easily behind the seat. The DOT number if its required the guy should have had it posted on the truck. The fire extinquisher its not a requirement for us but maybe it is down in the US. As for the gas cap vent the DOT was just being a jerk. A 2000 dollar fine is awfully steep I think these guys are trying to justify their job. I guess they don't realize tax payers pay their wages it is that way here in B.C. .

The DOT here gives warning if the guy knowingly knows the brakes are not working on the trailer then they will give them a fine. For us any trailer that has a GVW greater than 10,000lbs requires a CDL it doesn't matter if its a RV or any kind of personal use trailer.

From what I have read on the different boards that the DOT in the US is always on a power trip. I think maybe the gov't that oversees them should maybe make them realize they are not god. They are to inform and enforce the rules not try get as many fines they can. If people don't work and pay taxes the DOT man is out of a job simple as that.

4. stroker51

Yeah I agree, kinda biting the hand that feeds them. Just to clarify myself, I completely agree that we ought to have working breaks, lights, all that. But it's just frustrating to know that we have to conform to basically the same set of rules that big trucks have to. There ought to be some middle ground it seems to me. Here in Kansas, if you call the KCC, Kansas Corporation Commission, to come out and look at your rigs and walk you through compliance, the special investigator I dealt with was really cool, he came out to inform us, not to hose us. But he happens to be the same guy, that if something looks fishy to the KCC or DOT cops, he'll come in and bust you for whatever isn't right both on the trucks and in the office. The more I think about it, that $2000 fine is really steep. A big landscape company here in town got audited a few years back, we're talking 75 trucks or so, no driver records, medical cards, no DOT numbers, trucks that couldn't pass an inspection if they tried, and operating outside their operating authority (25 miles) and it was only like $3300 in fines.

5. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Yesterday I got fined for not having my name on my truck, I can understand not having DOT numbers or saftey equipment......But a name? I think this is a money grab, they changed the law last year and it was published on the CDOT website....or so they say? How can that happen without letting the law abiding operators know in advance? sorry, had to vent......and yes I have all the saftey equipment and fire extinguishers dot numbers, etc....as required in 1990 when I started business, should they publish this information, or are we required to look through the website on a yearly basis?

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

We have the same BS here the regulations changing and they don't tell you. It used to be we had to have the gvw posted on the truck thats not the case anymore all you need now is the owner operator or company name on the truck. They can tell what gvw the truck is with the license plate. Here in B.C. the plate with the sticker has to be on the front bumper.

I think you should have gotten a warning and not a fine maybe if it was your second offence then a fine.

7. Pioneer01

Pioneer01 LawnSite Member
    from Denver

Did it happen to be in Littleton? I quit doing any kind of buisness in the city of Littleton because of the commercial vehicle enforcement officer. He would stop me every week last year for one thing or another. I never had known I was supposed to have DOT numbers and he stopped me and nailed me for no DOT numbers, no safety equipment, no pin on the trailer coupler, etc......Total last year was 10 tickets, I would fix whatever he ticketed me for the week before and the following week he would find something else. I run a safe operation and found it to be borderline harrasment, all my equipment is always tied down, gas cans capped, trailer brakes, breakaway brakes, not runnin heavy......

8. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

the fine for just one unsealed gas can is $750, they will write u for all your cans even if just one is not sealed. and u r not supposed to be carrying more then u can use in 1 day.

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

cash grab..... safety yes.... ticky tack stuff that just funds their "jobs" is not right.

10. stroker51

What bugs me the most is that there is absolutely nothing we can do about this stuff, other than comply, and then still get ticketed for something else. When the special investigator from our state office came out to help us get compliant, he said a lot of what happens when you get stopped depends on who stops you and what kind of mood they're in. I haven't been stopped as I mentioned above, but another contractor we work with got stopped with his 1ton duramax, a 24' 20K gooseneck, nothing on the trailer just driving down the road. He only wound up with like $160 in tickets, but they were for a) no DOT #, whose to say he is in commercial use? He didn't have his name on the truck, and from what the special investigator told us, only if you are commercial do you need DOT #'s, b)1 amber light on the back of the trailer instead of a red, not a big deal, but how does that affect the safety of other motorists? c)No medical card. It wasn't like he knew he had to comply with all this stuff and didn't, it's just not public notice. The only way you find out around here is comparing horror stories with other operations. I know when the city had a meeting with big local contractors informing them they were adding another DOT cop and a set of scales, one of the ready mix company owners told them if they stop one of his trucks and he loses the batch in the truck, they will not only buy the concrete, but the truck it sits in.