1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DOT And Oversized Load

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dozerman21, Feb 16, 2008.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always known that you cant haul anything more than 8'6" wide, or it's considered oversized load when hauling non-farm equipment. My question is, are there any exceptions for heavy equipment over 8'6"?

I'm not oversized certified, and I also wanted to know from you guys who are, what do you have to do to become oversized? What's the cost, what's the process, etc... I'm only talking about width only, and it would be 8" or less too wide. No extra weight or height. I've also been under the impression that you can't drive after dark... is that correct?

Thanks for any info.:drinkup:
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It varies all over Canada and USA. Here 9 feet is about the max when it comes to no permits etc. Get into 10 feet wide then you need permits wide load sign etc. Around here lowbedders haul up to 14' wide which is max it makes it tough to get around the corners.

Most of the loads I haul are over length the lumber is 18-20 feet long carried on a 12' long deck there is quite abit of overhang.

So rule of thumb if its wider than 9 feet you need a pilot car a wide load sign on the truck and flags down the side of the load.

You want to see nerve racking on a narrow highway like where I live is when the local mobile home haulers are moving the brandnew mobile (prefab) houses they are wide. They are 14 to 15 feet wide and up to 70 feet long they take up most of the road. I know the mobile home haulers pilot trucks so if I see one on the road with the lights flashing going in the opposite direction I'am I will find a pull out and let get by me. You meet one of these mobiles on a corner there isn't much room to no room. It maybe okay for a compact car but anything bigger than a 1 ton dually forget it.

I also know the lowbedders pilot trucks and usually know what they are hauling so I try meet them on a straight stretch where I can get over towards the shoulder of the road.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, banners and flags on the front and rear of the truck/trailer are required, that's all. You can buy yearly overwidth permits, I think it's only a few hundred. A couple years ago I know it was like $250 for a whole year and all you're required to do is make sure your signage is appropriate and you're good to roll. Overwidth in WA state is real easy, a lot of guys don't even bother with 24" pads on 120's and 150's due to the ease of buying a yearly permit. I like 24" pads for other reasons, but moving them isn't too big of a deal.
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

No flags here.

5. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

that thing is huge !!!!!!!!!! is that part of one of those big dump truck ?
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

ive seen that picture before if its real thats some fancy driving there
  7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know if you're allowed to drive after dark? I've heard for a while that you couldn't if you're overwidth?
  8. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

thats a heck of a load. i bet i could pull it with my bobcat though.:rolleyes::rolleyes::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  9. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

Dozerman, I'm pretty sure that in Ohio and Michigan at least, that you are not able to, as told to me by the driver that brought my overwidth excavator to me from Michigan. Not sure about Indiana. I can also say that I can'nt ever remember seeing an overwidth load after dark around here. I'm sure that your local DOT could fill you in.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

from what i can remember from when i used to drive dumps/lowboy not after dark and no weekends.