1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

DOT and Single Axel Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jbell36, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

are single axel trailers exempt from DOT as long as you are under 10,000 lbs?

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Dot numbers far as I know has nothing to do with the number of axles.

Trucks weight and the trailers weight and the trailers rated load capacity has to be under 10,001 lbs.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

They only care when they pull you over for an inspection!

4. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

The DOT, for the most part, will stay away from a small lawn care operation, especially with a single axle trailer. I would avoid those clowns by all costs.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

5. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

32vld is rt. if you add the truck with the trailer they go by a combo weight.(gvw) not just the truck or the trailer. so if you can hall lets say 100 lbs with your truck and your trailer is 200 lbs dry , your over loaded. you add weight to the trailer of 50 lbs and the trailer can hold 25 lbs then there both over loaded, and that ends up costing you a lot in fines by a dot cop. also look at what your licence plate is rated at. if you have a 7000 lb plate and you are putting 10000 lbs in it you are over loaded too. even if you have the room to add to your cgvw. It can get out of had if you dont pay close attention. Its just common sense.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Around here. They will pull you over for inspection. They like to look for the little things,Lights not working ,not strapped down,gas can not strapped down.No trailer insurance.

7. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a pain. Thankfully around here they're much more relaxed with the lawn care guys.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

8. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

also if you are pulling that trailer to make money it dosent matter any way. you will need at dot as far as I know.

9. jbell36

from KANSAS

Yeah, trust me, we have had our fair share of run ins with DOT...which is why I'm trying to figure out a way to get away from them...we have an 18' tandem enclosed, 18' tandem open, and a 24' tandem tractor trailer that have all been pulled over...I was thinking if we downsized our rigs then maybe there isn't a lot they can do even if they wanted to pull us over...I have heard the cabovers with the landscape dovetail beds don't usually get pulled over, that was my other option but we would like to have 4x4 for snow removal
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jbell36

from KANSAS

So to make it simple, everything added together cannot exceed 10,000 lbs...the weight of the trailer added to the weight of the truck added to the weight of any equipment that is on that trailer...correct? Or does it get more difficult than that?

We have all 3/4 and 1 tons for trucks

What about trailer lights and trailer brakes?
    Posted via Mobile Device