1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DOT approved gas cans??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by purelake, May 21, 2008.

1. purelake

purelake LawnSite Member

We were told that you need to have DOT approved metal gas cans. The only ones we can find that are "DOT approved" are 5 gallon for $180.00. I have seen the metal Type 2 cans and thought these were good enough. I am in New York and apparently in my area there is a local cop who LOVES to harrass the landscapers in the area by pulling them over and writing LOTS of tickets. His favorite is the gas can one which is $500.00 fine.

Does anyone know anything about these cans or heard of anything? Thanks.
  2. Man, I'd look that one up. If your vehicle is not subject to DOT regulations - neither are your gas cans...

His mother must be so proud... Might as well be pulling cats out of trees...
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

What an a-hole. Tell him your other gas cans are milk jugs.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't carry fuel in cans thou my main thing is theft prevention and low boiling points which in turn could lead to refined grade separation and degradation, also evaporation. So I would have to guess it is a fire hazard as well.
    But they don't fool with me, I've never been pulled over.
  5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

We are required to use DOT approved ventless gas cans here in florida, but their easy to find and they only about $20-$30 (plastic)