DOT entrapment or not ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Marek, Jul 29, 2014.

1. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

All about the money. Cops are just tax collectors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I wish they would have gotten the clown in the 20 year old GMC dump truck doing 80 with his load uncovered, passing me in the far left lane like I was standing still.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a problem with them enforcing the law, I do think that its all about the money ! They don't do a thing about the aggressive drivers , illegals with no license or a holes on the roads. I just don't think its right that they pull every single truck that is pulling in there, isn't that profiling ? If the pulled all the Mexicans then there would be hell to pay

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Come to Texas.

I think they (the highway patrol) gave up trying to get illegals off the roads. No license or insurance, no problem. They just get a ticket they will never pay or show up for. I thought a CMV driver had to be able to read and speak English? I can't tell you how many times I've been on a job site where the trucker can't speak or read English but that's for another thread.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Drunk driving checkpoints are wrong. Constitutionally wrong.

Exactly.

DOT stops should be based on an offense, just as any other stop.

6. Marek

This is exactly what I am talking about. If the police sit just outside of a bar or restaurant and pull people in MD its considered entrapment because they were targeting them, I don't see where this is any differenet

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They sit in front of my house every day pulling people over in the same spot for speeding.

You'd think after 15 years people would learn to slow down. It's a small town lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Marek

Small towns make a lot of money off of out of town speeders. Look at OC MD, if you go to court down there and from the other side of the bridge, best of luck to you

9. I have to strongly disagree with you on both points....In CA and in most states, you sign an agreement to subject yourself when "Lawfully" requested by a peace officer for a breath, blood or urine test. You have to be "STUPID" to go through a DUI check point as there are plenty of opportunities(at least here in CA) to not go through them or turn and avoid them.

Inspection of all vehicles for commercial purposes I have no problems with that. What I do have a problem is if you have employees you are subject 1 time a year inspection at your yard looking at your vehicle. To top it off, you have to pay for the privilege.

DOT stopping all commercial vehicles(this includes cars trucks towing trailers) I have no qualms with this. Why? Maybe if they had this program in force at the time(early 80's), my then girlfriend would be alive and I wouldn't had stayed in the hospital for 3 months. We were hit by a tractor trailer who had lost his breaks due to a cracked air hose. He hit us head on going 55 plus. Sometimes on a bad day I wonder how I made it.

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Problem is you cannot avoid them. They have cops sitting at every turnout or back road and they pull over every person that avoided it

It is nothing but a money grab. Point blank period. You can tell by the amount of fines they hand out.
    Posted via Mobile Device