DOT Fines... Ouch

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stevesmowing, Dec 18, 2007.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I just got back from court tonight for some DOT tickets. We had 4 tickets.

1. Mowers not strapped. (I knew they should be)
    2. No warning triangles (I had been meaning to get them)
    3. Inspection sticker was a photo copy since the real one was in the other truck. Can't use copies for the inspection stickers, only for registrations.
    4. Gas cans in the trucks exceeded the 8 gallon max, vent caps were off, and cans not strapped down.

Mowers not strapped = $500
    Gas cans = $350

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

that does stink...but if you ever have a big truck you realize that those numbers are nothing...we had a fine at one point that reached $5,000

3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear. Just wondering...What size truck & What type (highway or back road) of road? I've been pulled over twice but never had any fines.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So you can't carry a more then a total of 8 gallons......so if you have two 5 gallon cans you are illegal?

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

the only one of my trucks im worried about would be my mowing crews truck....does anyone one know if cones are fine instead of warning triangles because they carry a few of them

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

how about just buy the triangle...........what $10? its winter, make a day out of it!

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If your trailer doesn't have a cage around it and it is a flatdeck trailer the mowers should be restrained some way.

I don't know what you need warning triangles for they are only meant for if you break down. I do have some in my truck I always had a triangle set behind the seat they come in a plastic box with I think 3 triangles.

As for gas cans they have to be capped and not able to tip over. I never seen a gas can that was larger than 5 gallons. Empty gas cans most people just toss them in the back of the pickup box loose and off they go.

The DOT has given carpenters fines for insecure loads hauling couple 2x4s by 10 or 12 in the box with the tailgate up.

I never gotten any DOT fines for loads etc knock on wood and I have hauled some ugly looking loads on my trucks. In the 15 years I never had a load fall off my truck.

8. stevesmowing

$28.41 at J-thomas for the set. One set needed for every truck tho :dizzy:

9. stevesmowing

you got it.

oh yea empty gas cans still have to be strapped down and SEALED because they have fumes.

10. stevesmowing

I have 2 foot sides on my trailer but I guess thats not enough. They were packed solid from front to back in that trailer there was no way they could slide unless it rolled over.