DOT help in MD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnman757, Jul 3, 2007.

1. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

I am looking for the required information I must maintain in MD for DOT?
    I am currently operating solo with a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup and 20 foot enclosed trailer. DOT stopped me the other day and told me to get a physical card (along with a ticket for it), DOT # and read the web site for the rest of the regulations. Any help would be greatly appreciated as they told me I would have an inspection within 3-6 months.
  2. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

3. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I think this is the gist of it, right here:

5. What is the definition of a commercial vehicle?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations have defined a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as noted below. Maryland has adopted this definition for commercial vehicles that operate only within state boundaries (intrastate).

CMV definition:
    Commercial motor vehicle means any vehicle operated in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
    (1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or
    (2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
    (3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
    (4) Is used in transporting hazardous in a quantity requiring placarding.

Fortunately, I don't qualify for this headache.
  4. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

A USDOT number is required for those companies that operate in intrastate commerce of
    a Minnesota based truck / truck tractor, having a gross vehicle weight in excess of 10,000
    lbs. other than farm trucks.

I think this applies to all states as I see it.
    Maybe I'm wrong.
  5. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

At the minimum in MD for your weight range you are looking at:

Truck lettered w/ DOT # + city/ state
    Medical card
    Fire exstinguisher
    As well as normal proper maintenance of your truck and trailer. (tires, lights, brakes, break away, weight, etc.)
  6. lawnman757

from MD

Thanks for the replies. Is there a place on the internet to download the forms for the maintenance?
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Every thing chesie stated is needed, i have been fined on 2 of those items. Make sure every light on truck and trailer works, along with every thing else perfect. Load properly tied down, safety chains on trialer criss cross, tires, fire ext. bolted down. The trouble with our laws are we dont always get the news of some chicken ship law just passed and can pay the penalty. I also think some of the dot cops make up there own laws as they go.
  8. lawnman757

from MD

Mike, The fire extinquisher has to be bolted down in the truck? Or can it be in the back of the tool box?
  9. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

It must be secure...and bungy cords do not count.
    I am speaking from experience.....LOL
  10. crash935

crash935 LawnSite Member

Must be secured, you can mount it in the tool box but the outside of the tool box must be labeled indicating that the fire ext is inside. Ext must also be charged fully.