DOT knowing folks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I just tried looking up to see if I need/register a DOT # for my trucks. Only when I went to click on the "who needs one" link it was under construction, great!

Those familar with whats needed........mind sharing some wisdow?

I do landscape/hardscape and would be hauling such materials. At times, as needed, from VA to MD and also from VA to DC. Possibly also picking up material as needed in MD.

Thanks!

2. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

Over 10,000 gvw needs a dot #. Interstate travel needs a dot # and possibly apportioned plates, not sure of laws betwween VA and MD. GCWR of truck and trailer over 10,000 needs dot #. Issue gets confusing best to read for yourself. I can barely keep it straight myself. Also 1 number does your whole fleet.

3. tthomass

from N. VA

I did not know about only 1 number..........sounds good. I'll give them a call tomorrow if I get a chance and see if I can talk to a human. Might have known when I needed to know something the site would be under construction.

4. Mjh Excavating

Do yourself a favor and wait for the website to come back up. You might get a human on the phone but they don't speak very good English. My experience anyway and that was a couple of times. Sad when you call a US government agency and you wondered if you dialed a different country by mistake. Anyway you can do everything from the website (forms, filing, etc.)

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If you are doing interstate commerce, you will need the stickers, even if you only have a S10 pickup truck. Weight isnt the issue here. State rules will vary but the feds say stickers for all motorized vehicles doing buisness in more than one state. If you cross the state line, and they catch you, your vehicle will be impounded until the proper stickers are in place. I dont know how your state does it, but in NC, you can get your numbers online and usually the same day you apply. They will send out a bunch of paperwork to fill out but the numbers are e-mailed to you way before the paperwork reaches your mailbox.

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Like Mjh said, if you have a truck rated over 10k, you need a DOT number on it. If you have a combination (truck and trailer) rated over 10k, you need a DOT number on the truck. Most 1/2 tons pulling a tandem (and even some singles) will meet that requirement pretty easily. This is all for commercial use. Any Joe-blow homeowner can pull almost any trailer with just about any truck and not need numbers, UNLESS they are doing so for commercial purposes...

Along with the numbers comes annual inspections (of both the trucks AND the trailers!), the need for flares/triangles, and a whole host of other headaches. Not sure about your intrastate travel; I think that's as simple as a change in the code of the numbers. Here in Indiana, the numbers for in-state work are "INDOT XXXXXX". If we worked both in Indiana and Illinios, they would be "USDOT XXXXXX". Not sure about other changes though, and how it is determined that you need the different number...

Good luck. You've jumped into a pool filled with very muddy water, and there's only a very few people who know how to make it clear!

7. Mjh Excavating

D

Well put about the muddy water.

8. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you can use the same DOT number for your entire fleet of trucks, you just have to list each one with DOT. If you are using the truck, truck and trailer, or any combination you need to have it posted on the door of your vehicle. I dont normally run my trucks out of state, but I still did USDOT numbers just to make sure I would not have issues later if I had to. I have since driven to Springfield MO a few weeks ago, and all I had to do was get trip and fuel tax permits for the states I traveled through as I don't have aportioned plates on my truck. I was pulled over in Alabama, so they DO check to see if you have what is needed.

If you are going to use the truck for commercial purposes, get DOT numbers. Thats the bottom line. If you travel to other states, then aportioned plates so you can pay even more tax is nessisary as well.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

Are you saying I have to get an additional inspection on top of the "regular" one for my inspection sticker?

Aportioned plates I know nothing about....????

Companies I worked for in the past had nothing. Lots of trucks of all sizes and nothing DOT at all. I'm starting up work in MD and DC and with spring coming its only going to become more and more. My luck, if I don't get DOT "certified" I'll be the guy pulled over on the side of the road.

10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what your "regular" inspection sticker is (is it a state-mandated inspection for *all* vehicles?), but the DOT inspection has a common form that must be filled out by a DOT-certified inspector (a lot of normal mechanics can do it, just ask around). After the form is filled out, there is a sticker with it that must be placed on the vehicle. It's good for a year.

Here, we have to get the forms ourselves at about $5 apiece. Any truck stop should have them, or you can call your state DOT and ask where you can order them (I don't remember where off the top of my head, but there is a place).

I don't know anything about the apportioned plates either, other than that's what you see on 99% of the semi-trucks/trailers on the road.

It's not just *any* truck that is used for commercial purposes that must have the numbers. It's any truck or combination that has a total GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more. A single S-10 won't need a number. Niether will a 1/2 ton pickup by itself. But add a tandem trailer (7k) to either truck and you will need the number.

Is the water any more muddy? ;)