dot number in pa

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by PGHSEALER, Mar 17, 2014.

1. PGHSEALER

PGHSEALER LawnSite Member

Hey guys a little unsure of the requirements in pa for a dot number. I'm using a ram 1500 a 7x14 tandem trailer 7kgvw. Do I need to put numbers on my truck and get a medical card? Thanks in advance guys.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Gemini sealcoat

Gemini sealcoat LawnSite Member

I live in mn and went through this issue a couple days ago. I was told by dot that if your 10,000lbs or less that you do not need need one. Guy told me it should be the same for all other states but to still make sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Regal Landscapes

Regal Landscapes LawnSite Member

Yeah 10000lb gvwr is the limit. Over that and you need the numbers.

You're under that so you're fine
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. PGHSEALER

PGHSEALER LawnSite Member

I was reading online that if you only travel with in your own state then you have to be under 17000 lbs.and do not need a dot number. Now if you're over 10000 lbs and you travel out of state then you need a number. I'm still trying to verify hopefully I'll have my answer today.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BRIARPATCH

BRIARPATCH LawnSite Member

Federal: If the combination (truck and trailer) GVWs (weight on the sticker--not what you tag it for)are over 10,000 lbs, and you are doing business you need DOT # and medical card. Over 26,000 you need a CDL. 12,000 lb pickup and a 14,000lb trailer=26,000GVW. As PGHSEALER said some states have their own DOT numbers for just instate--can't go out of state. Stop by any weigh station and talk with the Pa State Troopers there. They will guide you in the proper direction. Needs to be a DOT guy. Regular troopers don't understand the DOT thing. Getting a DOT number is no big deal. Doing paper work and such to keep it up is a pain. Good Luck.

6. Gemini sealcoat

Gemini sealcoat LawnSite Member

Would hauling Sealcoat and a hot rubber box be considered hazarded material, thus needing a dot number even though your under 10,000lbs?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Plantman1982

Plantman1982 LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

BRIARPATCH

Can you please post a link to where it says that any vehicle over 10,000 pounds needs a DOT number?

According to this site it is only vehicles over 10,000 that partake in interstate commerce.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

I know a DOT LEO and he confirms that, so I'm wondering where you got that information?

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I had a nice response typed up until I realized this thread was a few months old, so I'll try to not look like as much of a jag off.

PA required DOT numbers for intrastate commerce over 17,000 GCWR or GVWR, but the O P probably already figured that out by now.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  9. Plantman1982

Plantman1982 LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

You still look like a Jag off. A few is considered 3 or more, I think you meant to say a couple.

Is that how this forum works? A thread over 1 month old is no longer good for debate???????????????????

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Alright...not sure how to respond to this...what is there to debate? Case has been closed. I accidentally responded with my input and after I posted I realized it was a moot point.

And I'm perfectly comfortable looking like a jag off...I'm borderline clinically depressed, so I certainly don't think very highly of myself.