DOT Numbers of a truck.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sgl41377, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sgl41377

sgl41377 LawnSite Member

When are DOT numbers needed on a truck. If anyone knows anything about this please post.

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

When your truck or truck and trailer have a GVWR of over 10,001 Lbs.

3. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

In NY, weight does not matter. Its based more on the use and what you are transporting. For example we have to put numbers on a ford ranger if its going to carry more than 1 gal. of gas or be used commercialy. Plus the driver has to be 21 years old, have a dot physical. And the truck has to have 3 saftey triangles, first aid kit, and a 10bc fire extinguisher.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Commercially also. I didnt include that because I thought everyone would already know. For us here in KS its weight. We also have to get yearly inspections, medical cards, fire extinguishers and some other stuff.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Basicaly that means any 3/4 ton or larger that tows.
    Some states enforce it hard , others ignore it.
    I know some guys put it on the trailer as it is not needed when not towing. Not sure if that is legal , just that is has been done.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

not sure about the age of everyone here, but I can remember when we had a Commercial
    Plate on all our trucks, when I went to register mine I asked about this and the lady said you dont have to do that anymore.

seems right when I learn the rules they change them.....