Dot numbers?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Schrock Lawns, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about dot numbers my trucks gvw is 9900 and my trailers right at about 3200 loaded I know I problay won't get stopped but should I be safe and just go ahead and get dot numbers cuz I plan on getting an enclosed soon also
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

When you hook onto the trailer your are over 10k so you need them when towing.

3. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

So Over 10K lbs and you need the DOT stickers? How about the annual certification? I was told by a DOT agent that if you're over 10K lbs you need the stickers but not an annual certification. He also stated that an annual certification is required for trucks/trailers combo over 26K lbs.

I'm sure all states are a little different, but staying in one state can anyone verify thins info.?

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Its 10k GCVW if you go out of state and are doing commerce, making money. In PA its 17,001 GCVW if you are doing commerce for DOT.....not sure about other states. If your trailer, any trailer including recreational, is over 10,001lbs GVW....then dot and I believe that is all states.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Different states different regs.
    I have a DOT # here but do not need to display, under 17K lbs and not interstate.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No. North Carolina does not require DOT numbers on anything except for hazmat. If you cross the state line (any state line) then the Feds require DOT numbers for any commercial vehicle with a GCVWR of 10,001 pounds or more.

My Chevy has a GCVWR of 12,000 pounds so if I cross into Virginia to do work then I'm required to have a USDOT number displayed on the truck.

7. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

RV don't need DOT.

8. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Here in Texas it one of 33 states that use the USDOT numbers even for intrastate use. It's kind of a pain when you want to tow big loads. Here you have to get CDL, Medical Card, Cab Card, and sigh up for drug testing. My commercial insurance went up by a grand.

When you can tow six pallets of mulch or 14 yards of top dressing it makes having a CDL worth while.

9. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

From what I've seen in my experience and read on here it would be cheaper to pay the ticket for not having #s.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Not necessarily.

Please do not give out information that is based on ignorance.

More than likely.

This is good advice. lol

Horse hockey.

DOT numbers are for commercial vehicles. A recreational vehicle by definition is not commercial.

And the DOT number no longer applies in Michigan under 26,001. And a bunch of others.