Dot numbers?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Schrock Lawns, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Horse Hockey back at ya!...LOL....Note I'm talking about PA and clearly stated "I believe that is all states". My information was obtained by the PA State Police DOT Enforcement officer at the Lawrence Park Barricks, Erie PA. He stated: "any" trailer in PA over 10,001 lbs needs to follow DOT regulations, including recreational. Recreational is for weight to tow vechicle requirements. Once I realized my TT GVW and commercial GCVW were under DOT requirements, I didn't pay much attention to what he kept saying about other states. However I do "believe" he said trailers over 10,001 fall under federal DOT rules. Again I "believe" if you go out of state with a trailer over 10,001lbs, irregardless of your states regs, you fall under federal DOT rules. As for PA, I'm certain he said commercial GVCW in PA, 17,001lbs and above. Any commercial crossing state lines, GCCW 10,001lbs and above as per federal rules. I also agree with what was said in this thread about regular State troopers or local police not knowing the laws. That is why I contacted the DOT Enforcement officer......Just a note. If you look at almost all TT GVW they are just under 10,001lbs. Why might that be? Maybe to keep those TT out of federal dot rules when crossing state lines. Most 5ers are over 10,001 and I know of 2 people who were stopped by a road side DOT check in PA and given warning tickets for not having a combo GCVW for the tow vechicle since thier 5er weighed over 10,001lbs......OK, one more note! Wouldn't it be great if all states and the Feds would just have the same rules. :clapping:

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Not starting an argument but ALL recreational vehicles/trailers are exempt from FMCSA guidelines. Yes all states have different rules regarding their interpretation of the laws. In Maine trailers over 10,000 GVW fall under federal guidelines ONLY if the GCWR exceeds 26k which would require a class A to operate.

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

Not looking for arguments either. Just relaying what I was told by the DOT enforcement officer. Someone talked to a enforcement officer at another PA state police barrick today and was told the same when a trailer is over 10,001lbs. Like I said earlier, wish all states followed the same rules!

5. Mark Oomkes

They're idiots and wrong.

As I said, by definition, a recreational vehicle is not a commercial vehicle. They have absolutely no jurisdiction over a recreational vehicle.

If joe homeowner buys a trailer with a 20K GVW to haul his personal backhoe from the dealer to his house, they have NO JURISDICTION because the guy isn't making money with it, it is not commercial, it is personal.

People need to know the law so they can combat the ignorance that is spewed by those enforcing them.

Let me ask this, if one of these troopers told you that it is illegal to own a gun, would you believe them? Or go to church? Come on people, use the brains that God gave you to know the laws and tell these idiots they are WRONG when they spew crap like this.

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

Just got off the phone, after a 30 min conversation, with a PA DOT enforcement officer from the PA State police HQ in Harrisburg. The 10,001lb trailer and above is a registration issue in PA, not a PA DOT issue like I was told by our local DOT enforcement officer and definatly not any kind of fed dot. He just cautioned when traveling to other states to be aware of their regulations as some enforce on out of state vechicles. Again, I wish every state was the same and made the information easier to find. If it wasn't for this thread, I may have not called again and would have remained misinformed. Maybe sometimes I dont use the brains God gave me, but I will always keep asking questions, keep learning everyday, and increasing or correcting knowledge! :clapping:

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

This is why I gave up my DOT/MC #s. Trying to stay compliant, paying all of the registrations and licenses :hammerhead: It was more of a headache than it was worth.

8. Mark Oomkes

Specifically regarding RV's, ALL the states do use the same regulations. Because RV's are not commercial vehicles. (Race car\bike\sand rail\quad haulers another story, or can be) But RV's are recreational vehicles, not something that people make money with.

Otherwise you'd see all these guys with massive diesel pushers being required to have CDL's with air brake\break (endorsements--just for you duff).

I am glad you did check. Good for you. I readily admit to not understanding them fully, but there is so much misinformation given out here AND from the cops that are enforcing it, is beyond ridiculous. And yes, the laws are written this way purposefully to confuse you and I and get us to give up on understanding or fighting them in court.

9. Classic cuts

Classic cuts LawnSite Member

I have DOT numbers on my truck, have a CDL and carry medical card just to cover my ass. I live north of Detroit, and have been pulled over by the local weighmaster who basically told me using any cgvw truck/trailer combo over 10,000 for commercial use I needed them, already had the CDL. The Michigan State Police weighmasters suck around here and will pull u over for looking out the window the wrong way. I dont mind it doesnt cost me anything except for the medical card every two years and if it saves me a few thousand in fines i will keep them on.

10. Centralmichiganlawncare

Centralmichiganlawncare LawnSite Member

One of the better laws this state has passed