DOT regulations for the amount of fuel carried on trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Mar 6, 2007.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am thinking about getting one of those Blitz 15-Gallon Professional Fuel Stations. It says that it's DOT compliant. If DOT will allow you to carry a 15 gallon tank on a trailer...will they allow you to carry two of them? Less trips to the gas station would be great.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I Think you can haul 1000 gallons with out a dot permit

3. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I'm not for sure but I think that it is around the 100 gal. mark.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i know in NJ our hydroseeder is over 1000 gallons of liquids and we had to get tanker endorsements on our cdls, so im pretty sure your right... but im not sure about hazmat requirements and whatnot..

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I think it's around 100 gallons here in MI but not sure. I will have to look into it tomorrow.

6. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

i'm pretty sure in md its 100 gallons

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There might be different regulations for gasoline as it's much more flammable than diesel. Absolutely make certain you're legal.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes...diesel is considered a "combustible" fuel and gasoline is considered a "flammable" fuel. I have this rack, that I built, mounted on the front of my trailer. I am considering having a custom tank made to insert into the top basket. I have not figured it out mathematically yet, but I am guessing it would be around 50-75 gallon tank. My other idea (and probably the one I will go with) is to mount some brackets on the back side of the top basket to hold either 1 or two of those 15 gallon blitz tanks.

Thanks

Tongue rack on trailer.jpg

9. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I think its around 110 gallons, allowing for 2 55-gallon drums to be on board

10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Walker, I sent you the PM. In GA, and I want to say all of the US, DOT allows you up to 100 gallons of fuel. Over that, and you need a CLD with Hazmat endorsement and you will need to put a placard on your vehicle.