1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DOT regulations for the amount of fuel carried on trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Mar 6, 2007.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

After pricing some of the bigger tanks, guns and hoses, I will probably just start off with one blitz 15 gallon tank and add another at a later date. Or maybe buy a small one for mixed fuel. I did see some 37 gallon rectangular tanks that I might be interested in. I want to mount the tank or tanks on the back side of the top basket. I am not too worried about the trailer being too small...it's a 16ft tandem axle trailer (picture might be deceiving). I had already considered the hose being too short and that wouldn't be hard replace.

AZ Gardner--Have you considered or looked for a cap that would have a built guage in it? I would want that and/or carry a gallon gas can on the trailer for emergencies.
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We have a stinking $ 90 OSHA approved 3 gal tank for our mixed fuel. Don't get me started on that. We also keep a 1-gal tank for draining the line, Blitz recommends not leaving fuel in the line when not in use so we shut off the ball valve at the base of the tank and if there is no more room in the equip we put the excess in the 1-gal tank and pour it back into the big tank.

I will look for a venting cap that is a great Idea.
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

DOT requirements are Federal and each State has to abide by these regulations.
    That said, each state can set individual weight/length standards as well as require additional safety standards for hauling fuel.
    The larger problem is for those of you whole do not adhere to the new tie-down stnds - the old reg was on latching device every 10' now it is every 8'.
  4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

the dot regulates haz-mat regulations inall 50 states. you may carry up to 999 POUNDS of any given chemical without a placard.

if youi carry more than one chemical and they add up to more than 999 POUNDS combined you need a mixed load placard.
  5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think thats around 150 gallons of gasoline
  6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

im geting 3 of them one for reg, one painted green for mix and, one painted blue for water for the sprayer.
  7. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

I have a 40 gal Tank mounted on the front of my trailer I love. Hand pump pumps a gal in 2 or 3 strokes.

trailer tank.jpg
  8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting another gas tank off of a wrecked box truck and put it on the opposite side of the truck that the original tank is on. It wont take much to wire it up and then a few nick-nack things to hook up. Should be a snap. Could a tank like this be fabricated to a trailer? These tanks have a built in fuel pump in the tank so you could tie into the wiring on the trailer to pump it.
  9. Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs. LawnSite Member

I wish I had a dollar for every different "opinion" on the legal amount of fuel to carry that is posted here. I think I'll just look it up.
  10. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member

If you find it please post the limits. I tried looking it up and coulnt find anything (probably looking in the wrong place). I have a good idea what it is but I am not positive.